Edinburgh Inter City Team 1938

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Boris57

Edinburgh Inter City Team 1938

Post by Boris57 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am

Come into possession of a postcard which is a team line-up from 1938. Little folder it was in describes the team as Edinburgh Inter City Team for match against Stirling on 26 March 1938. All the players look to be late teens, possibly very early 20's so I'm guessing it was possibly a juvenile representative fixture. I've had no luck tracking down the fixture via my online subscription of the British Newspaper Archive but then they don't have the Edinbugh Evening News from that year.

I'll do some further research on my next visit to the Edinburgh Central Library or the NLS but in the meantime I thought I'd reach out here to see if any of the members had any info. I'd have included a photo of the said postcard but couldn't seem to do it as an attachment.

Any info greatly received, especially the Edinburgh line-up. Thanks.

bluedragon

Re: Edinburgh Inter City Team 1938

Post by bluedragon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

By chance I was in the Library and this was more interesting than the reason for my visit! I think it is a Boys Brigade Inter-city match played at Meggatland. There is a short note of the game on the Friday before the match in the Edinburgh Evening News but I could not find a result in the days after.

The teams were:

Edinburgh - R Paterson 32nd Co; A Turnbull 46 & W Gilroy 59; G Willins 32, C Walker 46 & J Powell 61; C Smith 55', S Whitelaw 59, M Sinclair 35, W Strang 46 (Capt.) & E Morton 32

Stirling - A Purves 2nd Co; H Gardiner 13 & A Ferguson 16; R Hunter 12, R Walker 2 (Capt.) & J Wood 11; A Henderson 11, A. Watson 11, J Paterson 2, A Stevenson 12 & J Booth 2

Referee Mr A Lindsay (Edinburgh)

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 am

Bluedragon - you are the man! You've made my day sir - many thanks.

I have no doubt you are spot on with saying it was a BB match. The S.Whitelaw you mentioned in the Edinburgh team was my great uncle Sammy & he was in the 59th Company of the BB's which was attached to St Andrew's church in Musselburgh. He died just a few years back just short of his 90th birthday so at the time of this game he'd have been about 16 so it all ties in as I found the postcard amongst some old family photos. I'll have to look closer now & see if I can recognise him as a laddie!

Thanks again.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Boris,
I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if your family is related to a John Whitelaw who signed for Dunfermline in 1912.
He came from an 'Edinburgh junior club' but so far I've been unable to find out which one. After the war he joined Dalkeith Thistle so I'm assuming he came from the same area as your grandfather.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Gordon

Not the same family I'm afraid - at least as far as I'm aware. Only relative on the Whitelaw side of the family that played professionally was my uncle Bobby (Wilson) - that was in the 50's & 60's with Aberdeen, Norwich City & Accrington Stanley.

Having said that, the Whitelaw's were a big family in Musselburgh (my great uncle Sammy who is in the 1938 BB team photo was one of 10 kids - no TV's in those days!) & there were lots of cousins so I'll ask about & if I come up with any info I'll post it on here.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Gordon