FAO Scottish, Hibs and Killie players since the war

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bobby s

FAO Scottish, Hibs and Killie players since the war

Post by bobby s » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:08 pm

I reckon that only two players have moved directly from Killie to Hibs since the war: Willie Toner & Andy Millen.

Furthermore I can only find record of 8 players who have played for both teams in the last 60 years:

Willie Toner, Andy Millen, Derek Anderson, Billy Findlay, George McCluskey, Craig Paterson, Colin Stein and Paul Wright.

Is there some kind of rift between Hibs n Killie? It would explain you dumping Bobby Williamson on us :)
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:46 pm

Iwillchecklater Bobby. Currently using expensive & fiddly phone keyboard in local hospital havingwokenup with face a cross between the elephant man & the singging detective

not muchdifferent from usual really

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Christ David that's no so good. I wish you a speedy recovery.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Killiehippo

Post by Killiehippo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:13 pm

Wish you a full and speedy recovery David.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks guys. I was never going to win any George Clooney look-alike contests anyway but this was scary. Anyway, now that it's reduced to the level where I resemble Quasimodo's slightly less good-looking brother, it's been deemed safe to let me back into society.

I'd add Joe McBride to that list. Three reasons for very little traffic between RP and Easter Road (also, Tyencastle, Dens, Pittodrie) in the immediate inter-war period:

1. Killie were in the B Division for seven years and their players attrcated little attention from 'big' clubs.

2. Until 1959 all KFC players were part-time and would be reluctant to give up their day jobs by moving east at a time when if they had a car there were no motorways. Many players didn't have cars and there was (and still is) no direct rail connecction between Ayrshire and Edinburgh.

3. Ayrshire is beautiful and Embra is smelly :D

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm

I've found a few who played for Killie post-war but either pre-war and/or wartime for Hibs:
'Cubby' Anderson, John Brown (GK), Davie Mathie, Gerry Mays, Tom McIntyre, John Niven.

There was another direct transfer in March 1946 from Hibs to killie - John Devlin.

And there was a fringe player called Edward Grant who played for both clubs along with many others.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:37 pm

scottish wrote:3. Ayrshire is beautiful and Embra is smelly :D
The prevailing wind blows west to east remember. :wink:
Fraser