Jimmy Brogan – “The old bloke in the gatehouse”

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kjell

Post by kjell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Hello,

Just came across this article in the Sunday Post for August 8, 1948 - this evening:

To many of his workmates in a Clyde shipyard 84-year-old Jimmy Brogan is just “the old bloke in the gatehouse.” Entirely unexpected is the fact that he used to crack in goals for Hearts, Hibs, and Bolton Wanderers before this century began, that he was one of the first Scots ever to be transferred to England.

In his heyday, of course, the transfer system as we know it was as yet unborn. A Bolton man “spotted” him playing at inside right for Hearts, wiled him into a nearby hostelry, slipped him £5 – and he became a Bolton player!

His wages were 30s. per week. Jimmy tells with relish the story of how he and his mates went on strike after discovering another player was getting 40s! They got their extra ten bob at that!

Very spry despite his years, Jimmy still finds time to take in a game. Most Saturdays he watches St. Mirren, whose ground is just round the corner from his home. Five days a week he’s up at the back of six, catches the seven o’clock tram, starts work at 7.45.

Surely here is the G.O.M. of Scottish football, the tradition being carried on by his son, Jimmy, today Scotland’s longest-serving senior linesman.

Image with article:

Article on my website: http://kjellhanssen.com/1948/08/08/jimm ... gatehouse/

Kjell

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Jimmy Brogan – “The old bloke in the gatehouse”

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:09 am

Great stuff Kjell. I was on ENFA looking for something else so I ran a search for this player when I saw your post. They say he was born in Beith in 1865 and confirm him as having played for Beith (1882), Hibs (1883) and Hearts (1884). Obviously he signed for Bolton before 1888 but ENFA records start from the first season of league football in 1888-89. He played and scored on the opening day of the world's first ever football league but Bolton were beaten 6-3 by Derby County at home. All told he scored 26 times in 74 league games for Bolton and four times in eight FA Cup ties. The closest he came to a major honour was in 1890 when Bolton were beaten by The Wednesday in an FA Cup semi-final.

His final game for Wanderers was in a 4-1 league defeat at Sunderland on March 1st 1892.

bobby s

Re: Jimmy Brogan – “The old bloke in the gatehouse”

Post by bobby s » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:47 am

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=5480

There's a bit about him in the first Lugton book IIRC - he left Hibs after it was discovered he was not a practising catholic which was a strict requirement to play for Hibs of that era.
It's the Hope I can't stand