Glenafton players first names

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Rob R

Glenafton players first names

Post by Rob R » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:18 am

I'm currently cataloguing every game I've been to and this one is stumping me with 4 players from the Scottish Junior Cup 1st round away to Ashfield on the 7th November 1964. I have the match programme from the 1963 final but it only gives you initials. The players I'm looking for are Watson the goalkeeper not the full back, Moffat, Mclean and Brennan thanks in advance, so I'll hand it over to you Ayrshire followers. The rest I got through trawling The ET junior columns for that season.

prorege

Re: Glenafton players first names

Post by prorege » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:03 am

Edward Brennan
William McLean
Lawrence William Moffat
plus either
William Watson or
John Christie Watson (I don't have positions).

Source: SJFA Retention Books

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Many thanks for such a swift reply. John was the goalkeeper I already had Willie as the full back.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:38 am

Where is this Watson, the goalkeeper, coming from?

The Glen goalkeeper in the 1963 final was Roger Niven - I owe him a lot. When he was at Cumnock Academy, he couldn't play for the Under-18 football team, because the pe teacher insisted he played rugby. The Under-15 and Under-14 goalkeepers both had SAturday morning jobs, so, I was promoted from the Under-13 team to play in the Under-18s, when in the first year.

Niven still tries to claim drink off me, on the odd occasion we still meet up; insisting: "I gave you your break".
Snuff

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Watson the goalkeeper played in the Scottish Cup tie v Ashfield. The point I was making was ,the players first names I was looking for, I looked in the Cup Final programme from the year before and there were 7 or 8 still at Glenafton playing against Ashfield but the Cup Final programme only gave first name initials.