First yellow card?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Re: First yellow card?

Post by Scottish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Partick Thistle wrote:Ayrshire riff-raff would bolster the average no doubt...
Ayrshire players weren't sent off, they were carried off. And only then if they were deid.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:26 pm

James Hamilton, the Scottish internationalist, was sent off while playing for Queen`s Park vs. Rangers @ Celtic Park in a Merchants` Charity Cup semi final replay on 28th May 1892. Rangers won 7-1. Hamilton, who scored the Spiders` goal making it 2-1, was ordered off by the referee for "alleged rough play" @ 5-1.

football2011

Post by football2011 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:44 pm

To add more confusion a quote on Elgin City player Cowie's booking from the Evening Times sport on February 26th 1977 in their Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox.

'He had left the field for treatment without permission, returned and was spotted by the referee, who produced the yellow card'.

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 pm

^ THANKS! (he said through gritted teeth...)

I wonder if the reporter could've been using a turn of phrase? I'm bearing in mind that the cards were introduced in England for 1976-77. It does seem like a very clear observational statement mind you. Then there's always the possibility that they could have been introduced experimentally in that season's Scottish Cup.

A fellow Thistle historian e-mailed the SFA and received this reply:

"Thanks for your e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying.

I have been delving through our records to try to find the answer to your enquiry. It has not been easy. The best answer I can provide is that red and yellow cards were introduced in the late 1970's.

Following their introduction into the Laws of the Game in the early 1970's, there was a fairly long debate within the game in Scotland for much of the decade as to whether they should be introduced into domestic football. The cards were introduced into English football around 1976 and that would have influenced the thinking in Scotland to allow their use here.

A proper guess would suggest 1978/79 or 1979/80. I am aware from minutes that a "debate" going on in 1981 that the use of the cards should be retained. The use continued.

I hope that this is of assistance to you
."

What we really need here is a referee of pensionable vintage to stumble upon this thread...
William