Chatham Cup (Glasgow)

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Chatham Cup (Glasgow)

Post by bluedragon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I have come across a cup winners medal from 1939/40. The competition was won by Park United. The medal has the City of Glasgow coat of arms and around the perimeter it states "City and District football - Chatham Cup". It sounds as if it is a medal from a local competition but the title was interesting as I know the Chatham Cup is the main cup competition in New Zealand and owes its name to HMS Chatham who originally donated the cup. I was wondering if there was any connection? I did have a look in Brian McColl's Scottish Football Historical Archive but could not find a reference to the competition suggesting it was a parks or works football cup competition. As ever, any ideas, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

ScottishFA

Re: Chatham Cup (Glasgow)

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, Park United was certainly a decent quality Glasgow juvenile side at that time as they won the Scottish Juvenile Cup in 1940 (4-3 v Douglas Hawthorn at Ibrox on 22 June 1940).

I've found a couple of mentions of the Chatham Cup in juvenile football in 1935 and 1936, but nothing more specific.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks Andy. That's very helpful.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 am

I don't know about the Chatham Cup in Glasgow but I've heard many appalling variations of the Chatham Up - I'll get me coat.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 am

Scottish wrote:
I don't know about the Chatham Cup in Glasgow but I've heard many appalling variations of the Chatham Up - I'll get me coat.

David - posting inane comments on here early in the morning is one of the first signs of advancing senility. Welcome to the club.
Snuff

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:44 pm

It`s after noon so no early morning inanities so it`s safe to let you all know of a little known fact that Marvin Gaye kept a flock of sheep so he could herd it through the grapevine.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Snuff wrote: David - posting inane comments on here early in the morning is one of the first signs of advancing senility. Welcome to the club.
Didn't feel early. I'd been up all night watching Ireland beat the West Indies.