IMPORTANT NOTICE - FUTURE OF THIS SITE

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

IMPORTANT NOTICE - FUTURE OF THIS SITE

Postby Scottish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 pm

After fourteen years operating and maintaining this site and ten years of the forum, I find that, regrettably, pressure of other projects means that I will no longer be able to devote the time necessary to keep it up to date. Therefore I have decided, reluctantly, not to renew the domain name when it is next due in September this year.

I’m posting this here well in advance to let site members know and to give one of you the opportunity to take over the domain should anyone wish to do so.

I must stress that I am not looking for – and nor will I accept – any monetary gain. If more than one person is willing to take on the site there will be no auction. It will be strictly on a first come first served basis. I have given no one any advance notice of this so it is open to all on an equal basis. Should the first person subsequently decide they are unable/unwilling to take over the site then I shall move down the list in order of intent to find someone who wants the domain (always assuming one or more people are interested in the first place).

Should no one wish to take the site on then after expiration of the domain name it will no longer be possible to post new topics or receive/make comments on existing ones. Older site copies will still be available on the Wayback Machine on archive.org though there is no way of knowing what the most recent copy would be. As an indication I can say that as of April 6th, the most recent copy on archive.org is February 12th. There are currently 164 editions from March 31st 2001 onwards available for all to see.

But I would rather the site, or at least the domain name, remains in the hands of a Scottish football historian rather than go to the first bidder after its expiration under my name.

The domain name annual costs are modest and I am happy to turn it over as soon as possible. Thus whoever takes it over would receive a “free” period up until September.

It would be entirely up to the new registrant to keep or delete site content as they wish (though I would hope they keep it in full as many people have spent many hours contributing). My only personal terms are that any content written by me on this site, which is subsequently published elsewhere, should clearly state my authorship and copyright.

I can provide details of current hosting but of course it would be entirely up to the new registrant to use any web host they like.

Obviously I do not take this step lightly. It’s been fun over the years and I had hoped to continue for some time yet but find it is simply impossible to do so without acting to the severe detriment of other work.

If you’re interested then PM me with any questions and to receive further details.

David
Scottish
Site Admin

Re: IMPORTANT NOTICE - FUTURE OF THIS SITE

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Please take note of this everyone! Do we really want to see the end of this forum?

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:51 am

I fully agree, Alan. I'd love to be able to take over in some capacity, but as I've said to David, I simply don't have the time due to my own site commitments.

I'm hopeful there will be a number of volunteers who'd like this opportunity, so please step forward and help maintain this terrific, and important forum.

Brian
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby Partick Thistle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:36 pm

But David... you're the Daddy! It won't be the same without you.

I'd be sorry to see this forum go, it has a rarefied atmosphere where quality trumps quantity.

Although I've only cottoned on for the last couple of years, it's been a great place to share and to learn.
William
Partick Thistle

Postby bobby s » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 am

I'd love to help out too but simply don't have any time to commit.

I really hope someone can be found to keep this brilliant resource going.

BMCCOLL wrote:I fully agree, Alan. I'd love to be able to take over in some capacity, but as I've said to David, I simply don't have the time due to my own site commitments.

I'm hopeful there will be a number of volunteers who'd like this opportunity, so please step forward and help maintain this terrific, and important forum.

Brian
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby lbb » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Only just read this (years of ignoring stickies on forums due to the usual 'behave yourself' guidelines posted).

Will be sorry to see the forum go. It was almost always a haven of sensible debate free of the bias and trolling that affects other football forums. I hope someone can be found to carry it forward.
lbb

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 pm

lbb wrote:Only just read this (years of ignoring stickies on forums due to the usual 'behave yourself' guidelines posted).

Will be sorry to see the forum go. It was almost always a haven of sensible debate free of the bias and trolling that affects other football forums. I hope someone can be found to carry it forward.

Yeah likewise (except I had read it already as I always do the check new posts thing when I log in).

This forum is a wonderful resource for a quick enquiry about something historical. Someone always knows. It has occasional decent debates about Scottish football and generally its members are pretty sensible types. It's also a great source for statistical stuff. If it goes then it will be a very sad loss. However I have neither the time nor the competence to do anything about it. I hope someone takes it on but if they don't then so be it. I expect some of us will meet again elsewhere.
Skyline Drifter

Postby bluedragon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 pm

I am a fairly new recruit to the forum and echo the thoughts of others about its value and but also recognise the time required to run and organise it. I do hope that between us someone is able to continue it.
bluedragon

Postby Scottish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks to all for the many kind words expressed. Obviously I regret having to do this and it is only with the greatest reluctance that I do so. By posting relatively far in advance of the lapse of registration date (September the somethingth) I thought it gives plenty of time for others to consider whether they have the time to take it on.

If not,so be it (unless my personal circumstances change radically in the interim) but from the end of this month I will have less and less time to maintain it. As far as questions and answers go, that's no problem. The site has grown to the level that there are now plenty of subscribers who can deal with these far better than I can, unlike the early days (pre-Forum) when each query was dealt with by me individually and when resources available on the web were in the Stone Age compared to now.

The great thing about Archive.org, as you can see here, https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ww ... league.net is that it archives websites in full every so often. The current edition of this site on the Wayback Machine is Feb 12th this year. I have no way of knowing how frequently they update that, given as it doesn't appear to be at set intervals. But it does suggest that there will be a couple more updates before registration lapses. I also expect the site to continue for a short period after that as Dotster sends me emails asking me to reconsider before finally putting the domain name out for sale.

However, he said cheekily, if anyone wants e-copies or paperback versions of some of the queries dealt with, they can be purchased here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-ross/sco ... 67131.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-ross/sco ... 09042.html
Scottish
Site Admin

Return to SFAQS