What's the earliest film of Scotland in action?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Partick Thistle

What's the earliest film of Scotland in action?

Post by Partick Thistle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:20 pm

From the British Movietone's jaw-dropping uploads we can see Scotland in action from 1907. Lord Rosebery colours. Mad folks perched on roofs. Goalies wearing the same strip as outfield players, defined only by the wearing of a cap. The British Movietone folks have merely tagged this "INTERNATIONAL - ENGLAND V SCOTLAND - NO SOUND" which gives an impression they're not quite sure of all this treasure trove i.d. (as evidenced with the QOS v Rangers match on that other thread). Anyway, the SFAQ is: "What is the earliest film of the Scottish national team in action?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70w5z2hkuhU

From the rsssf:

(Match 92) 6th April 1907 (24th Home International Championship)
ENGLAND - SCOTLAND 1-1 (1-1)
Referee: Thomas Robertson (Scotland)
Crowd: 35.829, St.James' Park, Newcastle
Goals: 0-1 Crompton (2) own goal, 1-1 Bloomer (42)
ENGLAND:
Samuel Hardy - Robert Crompton [c], Jesse Pennington - Benjamin Warren, William John Wedlock,
Colin Campbell McKechnie Veitch - John Rutherford, Stephen Bloomer, Vivian John Woodward,
James Stewart, Harold Payne Hardman.

SCOTLAND:
Peter McBride (4/Preston North End) -
Charles Bellany Thomson (9/Heart of Midlothian)
James Sharp (3/Woolwich Arsenal) -
Andrew Aitken (10/Middlesbrough)
Alexander Galloway Raisbeck [c] (8/Liverpool)
Peter McWilliam (4/Newcastle United) -
George Stewart (4/Manchester City)
Robert Walker (19/Heart of Midlothian)
Andrew Wilson (1/Sheffield Wednesday)
Walter White (1/Bolton Wanderers)
George W.Wilson (5/Everton)

Notes: Scotland were third. Wales won the home title.
William

HibeeJibee

Re: What's the earliest film of Scotland in action?

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:33 pm

I imagine that must be a very likely candidate for the earliest. That 1907 footage has been known of in some form for a while - there's a clip from it on the LondonHearts website and it was mentioned in a thread on here in 2005.

Footage exists of the 1911 international at Everton, that's the only other I can readily find before the 1920s.

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks HJ, very interesting.

Another question - are we sure Alec Raisbeck was the captain that day?

He comes out of the tunnel last which doesn't seem very captainly... also, the Scot who is tossing the coin does not have Alec's blonde mop, that's for sure.
William

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Captain in 1907 was Charlie Thomson, according to newspaper reports, and that's him sitting in the middle of the front row for the team photo as well as tossing the coin with Bob Crompton.

Funnily enough this is wrong in all the reference books, who name Raisbeck. He was captain in 1906 (when Thomson was missing) but not 1907.

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks Andy.

I know a man who will be pleased to take another small step in the quest for perfection.

Calling Gabe!
William

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Very interesting footage. Thanks for posting the link William. The data on the RSSSF website is mostly down to me and if I remember correctly some of the captain's details were taken from Andrew Ward's 'Scotland - The Team' book. As an aside the referee that day Thomas Robertson was a former Scottish international, but could you imagine a Scot refereeing an 'Auld Enemy' clash these days!

Alan

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm

^ Very good Alan, gotta love a bit of trivia on the side. That wouldn't happen today of course, although I do recall a gentleman by the name of Mr Miller from the early 1980s who had a good go at taking that old tradition one step further by both playing and refereeing against England at the same time. :-)
William

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Tom Robertson picked up Scottish Cup winners medals with Queen`s Park in 1890 & 1893 and with St.Bernards in 1895. He also refereed the Finals of 1899 and 1903(all 3 games), 1904, 1905(1st game only) & 1913(only two men refereed more) and was latterly SFA President. A unique feat unlikely to ever be repeated.

I well remember Willie Miller racing upfield to remonstrate with a referee who`d whistled up a Dons forward for being offside an incident which had happened a good forty yards in front of the bold Willie. "For goodness sake ref, you`re carrying the ball upside down", whispered Miller to the official in black as they walked out of the tunnel side by side before a Cup Final. "Oh, sorry", replied the flustered ref turning the ball round.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:44 am

Willie Miller - referee.

My favourite story about my old boss and football-writing hero, the late Ian "Dan" Archer, concerns a Norwegian goal in a World Cup qualifier against Scotland during the 1990 group qualifying stages.

"Couldn't possibly have been a goal", drawled Dan.

"Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and Roy Aitken, the three best referees in Scotland, all had their arms up, claiming offside, when the Norwegian shot.
Snuff

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 am

Getting back to Tom Robertson, reading one of the newspaper obituaries a while back they claimed that Robertson had refereed league matches in England. Just wondered if there was any truth in this? I know that Tony Brown published a book after years back on referees in English football, would anyone happen to have a copy of this book?

Alan