1897 - April 30: Wishaw Thistle v Liverpool (friendly)

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kjell

1897 - April 30: Wishaw Thistle v Liverpool (friendly)

Post by kjell » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Hello,

This is one of very few friendly matches by Liverpool in the 1890s I miss the match facts from. I am hoping someone here may point me in the right direction?

I know the match was played at the Old Public Park in Wishaw, and that Liverpool won 4-3.

I am missing line ups and goal scorers (both team), half time score and attendance.

If no-one can help with the info maybe someone will know which newspaper covered Wishaw at the time?

Regards,

Kjell

BMCCOLL

Re: 1897 - April 30: Wishaw Thistle v Liverpool (friendly)

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Sorry, but I can't find a trace of it in the BNA or the Herald. I noted they played East Stirlingshire on the Monday so they were certainly hovering around!
http://sfha.org.uk/

kjell

Post by kjell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:10 am

Hi,

There is a short mentioning of the match in the Dundee Evening Telegraph for 1 May - 1897. Page 2, 8th column - towards the bottom of the page.

Kjell

Parkside

Post by Parkside » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:12 am

The Wishaw Press has a report on this friendly game although it is a bit sketchy.

The Liverpool line up is given as Donnelly, Neal, Dunlop, McCartney, McCue, Cleghorn, Home, McCowie, Michael, Goldie & Hannah. (Looking at a list of past Liverpool players Neal is probably Neill and Home should be Holmes)

The Wishaw team is reported as being the usual eleven except Jackson (Carluke) in goal and McRory (Waterloo) in centre. No half time score is given and the only goalscorer mentioned is Michael who scored the winning goal for Liverpool. The crowd was apparently the largest seen at Wishaw that season and the reason given was the appearance of Michael playing against his old club having started his career at Wishaw Thistle.

Interestingly the Liverpool team for this game consisted of eight Scots, two Irish and only one Englishman (Holmes).

kjell

Post by kjell » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Hello,

That is amazing!! Thanks for locating this info.

Kjell