Alex Harley

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Rob R

Alex Harley

Post by Rob R » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Would anybody here know the circumstances of his early death in 1969 or know of a newspaper article about it.

ScottishFA

Re: Alex Harley

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

According to the death register, Alexander Alistair Harley died in Birmingham July-September 1969 (and it confirms his birth date as 20 April 1936). In a quiet hour I trawled through the Evening Times for those three months as they were quite good at notifying deaths of former players. However, although I came across a few others (inc Hutton Bremner of Motherwell and Eddie McLeod of Partick Thistle) there was no mention of Harley that I could find.

Given he was such a high profile player, and so young, this is a bit strange. So, either it wasn't reported, or this is the wrong guy.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Thats him , he was 33 when he died and I also know he died in Birmingham .After leaving Birmingham City, he had a short spell at Dundee in the 64/65 season and then Portadown but his football career seemed to be over by the time he was 30 , for a person who scored something like 42 goals in a season only a few years before for Third Lanark and was Manchester City's top goalscorer when they were relegated in 1963 before transfering to Birmingham. Sounds like he still had some kind of conection in Birmingham (house possibly ) cosidering he didnt stay in Dundee or Lurgan too long.

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:11 pm

ScottishFA wrote:According to the death register, Alexander Alistair Harley died in Birmingham July-September 1969 (and it confirms his birth date as 20 April 1936). In a quiet hour I trawled through the Evening Times for those three months as they were quite good at notifying deaths of former players. However, although I came across a few others (inc Hutton Bremner of Motherwell and Eddie McLeod of Partick Thistle) there was no mention of Harley that I could find.
Edward McLeod, born 28th July 1907 in Springburn. Did you note his date of death per chance?
William

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:49 pm

There is a paragraph in the Evening Times of 30 September 1969, back page:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... page&hl=en

No precise date on ancestry, but he died in New York, and here is a photo of his grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... i=55348565

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:13 pm

All duly noted, thanks very much for keeping an eye out on these things : - )
William