Whifflet Rovers

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Alan McCabe

Whifflet Rovers

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 pm

I can't remember if I've posted this before but does anyone have any information on the Whifflet Rovers club. They competed in the Scottish Qualifying Cup in 1933-34 and beat Moorpark Amateurs before losing to Vale Ocoba.
I have no idea which league or association that they competed in and was wondering if there was any link to Albion Rovers. Could they have been an amateur version of the Coatbridge club?
Checking old OS Maps and aerial photos shows that Albion Rovers' original Meadow Park ground in Whifflet was still in use.
This is one of the few SFA competition members that I've got left to confirm details on.

BMCCOLL

Re: Whifflet Rovers

Post by BMCCOLL » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:40 pm

I can't recall them being mentioned in Robin Marwick's book but I'll have a look and no further info in a quick BNA search. I'd hazard a guess at being from amateur level.
http://sfha.org.uk/

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Nothing in Robin Marwick's Brian. I've checked all the seasons around that time.

I'm hoping 1933-34 will appear in the BNA for the Sunday Post soon since they listed hundreds of results from all levels of the game on their scores page. I imagine amateurs but wondering if they could've been a 'ghost club', like Royal Albert from around this time. I think such 'senior' entrants could list junior players for SFA Cup ties without these players being required to sign for the club as I've noted Qualifying ties where clubs were regularly helped out by loanees or other clubs' players.

Will keep on looking although I suspect they did indeed use Meadow Park as their registered ground.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:30 pm

I did a quick search for Whifflet on findmypast.co.uk comes up this for Motherwell Times 1st of September 1933

"this season. the Scottish Amateur Cup they have been drawn at home to Anchor Lino and in the West Amateur Cup they travel to Whifflet.

Not being a member I cant access full page but it would seem to indicate there was an amateur team from Whifflet that season.

juniorhistory

Post by juniorhistory » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:12 am

gogsy1968 wrote:I did a quick search for Whifflet on findmypast.co.uk comes up this for Motherwell Times 1st of September 1933

"this season. the Scottish Amateur Cup they have been drawn at home to Anchor Lino and in the West Amateur Cup they travel to Whifflet.

Not being a member I cant access full page but it would seem to indicate there was an amateur team from Whifflet that season.
This article refers to the local police footballers team drawn to Anchor Lino at Whifflet.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 pm

From the Kirkintilloch Herald, 25 Oct 1933
Whifflet Rovers (Gartcosh Rovers) surmounted a very stiff hurdle when they defeated Ruchill Church by 2-1 [...] in the Scottish Amateur Cup.

The only references I have to Whifflet had been from 1933, but for Gartcosh Rovers they have been more numerous. One at least from 1889, and more from 1922 to about 1939. Gartcosh Rovers had been junior in the early 1920s, becoming amateur (same club?) by 1928. Was the 1933-34 entry by Whifflet simply a brief change of name?

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Good spot Brian.
I did a bit more searching in the Kirky News and found that Gartcosh Rovers Amateurs rented Albion Rovers' old Meadow Park in 1933-34 to thereby attain full SFA membership. The SFA insisted that due to the distance that the club were moving the Gartcosh title would not be acceptable, hence Whifflet Rovers.
The club continued to play in the Coatbridge & District Amateur League but their occupation of Meadow Park appears to have lasted only one season.
As a footnote, that's me now traced the grounds of every club to have played in the Scottish FA or Qualifying Cups.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:09 am

Did the Scottish Cup adventure wipe the club out? I had a further look and it appears the consequent mentions of Gartcosh Rovers after 1933 relate to a scout troop and not the FC.

Now when is that Scottish Cup book coming out! :)

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:09 am

I think the season at Meadow Park may well have finished them as only a Gartcosh Welfare club appears thereafter.
As for the book, in true Star Wars fashion, I hope to have Volume 2, the clubs A-E, in print for Christmas.