Stewart Kennedy Dunfermline Athletic

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

Stewart Kennedy Dunfermline Athletic

Post by Shawfield Boy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:39 am

I was looking into whether Stewart Kennedy's appearance in goals for Dunfermline against Clyde on the 31st of August 1968 was his debut for Dunfermline, but whilst I can find mention of his time with Dunfermline I can't seem to find any details of his appearances.

Can anyone clarify?

Cheers

ScottishFA

Re: Stewart Kennedy Dunfermline Athletic

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:40 am

According to the book 'Black and White Magic' this was indeed his debut. The first choice goalkeeper was Bent Martin, until he handed in a transfer request halfway through the season, at which point Willie Duff took over, so Kennedy was pretty much out of the picture.

According to the Litster disk he only played the one first team match. However, the club handbook doesn't give appearance records and I guess he might have played in Fife Cup ties or friendlies.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 am

I'm pretty sure he was the goalkeeper in a league cup section game I attended at East End Park in 1970 when rangers put 6 goals past him.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:48 am

No I stand corrected just looked in the Evening Times Johnny Arrol was in goal , but Kennedy is listed as goalkeeper in the match programme.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:15 am

Rob R wrote:No I stand corrected just looked in the Evening Times Johnny Arrol was in goal , but Kennedy is listed as goalkeeper in the match programme.
John Litster’s disk has Stewart Kennedy being released by Dunfermline Athletic on 30 April 1969 and re-joining the Juniors with Linlithgow Rose in Season 1970/71. I was looking at the Evening Times as well! Here are the details of the match on 22 August 1970 for info.

Dunfermline Athletic: Arrol; Callaghan & Brown; Thomson, McGarty & McLaren; Robertson & McNicholl; Mclean; Gardner & Gillespie. Sub McKimmie (65m for McGarty)

Rangers: McCloy; Jardine & Miller; Greig, McKinnon & Jackson; Fyfe & Conn; Stein; MacDonald & Johnston Sub Penman.

Scorers: Johnston 9m, 13m(pen) & 89m Jackson 44m, Fyfe 76 m Stein 87m

Attendance: 13,000

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Stewart Kennedy didn't play in any Fife Cup matches as the club didn't take part in the competition in the three seasons between 1966 & 1969. As far as I'm aware he didn't play in any friendlies either.
His only first-team appearance, the League Cup tie at Clyde, was actually on his 19th birthday. He was on the bench for the second leg of the Cup-Winners Cup tie against Apoel in Nicosia on 2 October but that's about it.
Years later Kennedy still referred to the match at Shawfield as a "nightmare" so I don't suppose he enjoyed the photos of him in the Scottish Football Book No. 15.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks once again to all who replied.