72/73 - Second Division fixture anomaly

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

72/73 - Second Division fixture anomaly

Post by Shawfield Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Looking at Clyde's fixtures in 72/73 I noticed we played Forfar Athletic away on the 13th September 1972, and home on the 20th September 1972. I checked other teams, and some of them have this "strange" type of fixture arrangement on those dates (St Mirren and Berwick Rangers), some have it slightly differently (Clydebank and Stirling Albion on the 2nd and 20th of September), while Alloa and Dunfermline met on the 16th and 23rd of December.

I know there were an odd number of teams in the league, so every week one team would be without a game, but playing the home and away fixtures on consecutive weekends (or reasonably close together) doesn't seem necessary to me.

I haven't looked at other seasons before and after 72/73, can anyone help / shed some light on this apparent fixture anomaly?

Cheers

prorege

Re: 72/73 - Second Division fixture anomaly

Post by prorege » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 am

The "anomaly" always concerned midweek games. There were usually 4 scheduled midweek dates for Division Two games in the early 1970s. Teams quite often had the same opponents for two of them, home and away. Some of the games fell by the wayside depended on which teams qualified from the League Cup sections - the KO stages clashed with two of these dates.

I recall some interesting ko times at places like Brechin, Stranraer and Alloa - as early as 5pm.

Gordon Baird

Re: 72/73 - Second Division fixture anomaly

Post by Gordon Baird » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 am

Dunfermline weren't originally scheduled to be playing Alloa on 23 December - they were supposed to be at Clydebank but that was postponed. I can only assume that Alloa didn't have a game on the 23rd and agreed to bring forward their fixture from 21 April.
It must have been clear fairly early that the match at Clydebank would be off as Alloa had enough notice to produce a programme.