"B" international in Mainz 2002

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Vasco

"B" international in Mainz 2002

Post by Vasco » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:33 pm

After successfully cataloguing my programme collection, I've taken on the onerous task of cataloguing the 200+ tickets which I have amassed from my travels abroad over the past 40+ years.

I've put them into an album and attached a brief note of score, teams, captains, scorers and times, substitutes and times, managers, crowds and yellow/red cards. The date and venue are, of course, already on the ticket itself.

In the main I can track down most of the information online, but one that is beating me is the "B" international played in Mainz in December 2002. I've got the score, 3-3, and the Scotland scorers, but I cannot find anymore information about the match. Can anyone help?

Vasco

Re: "B" international in Mainz 2002

Post by Vasco » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:49 am

Many thanks. I was not aware of that site.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:22 am

I was at that game - recall it being one VERY cold night. Think it was referred to as the "Scotland Future" team. Seem to recall they played another game in Turkey (I wasn't at that one). There was no programme as such for the game in Mainz but big Willie McDougal who was the SFA Security man at the time - ex-Glasgow Polis & a true gentleman who got on great with the punters - kindly gave me a sort of media booklet which had been issued by the German FA to cover the match & the equivalent of the Charity Shield that had been played the night before. Listed the squads, officials, game arrangements, etc.

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:53 am

I was also at the game in Antalya the following February. Willie McDougall was, indeed, a big gentleman, with whom I got on well. His departure from the scene, along with Marjory in 2003, left, in my opinion, a big void which has never been filled by those who followed in their footsteps.

It was a bloody cold night, but not quite as cold as the U-21 match on the Tuesday evening in Moscow in 1995.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Stats for both games:

17 December, 2002
Germany 3 (Kuranyi 15, Meier 60, Voigt 89),
Scotland 3 (Kyle 44, Hughes 61, Malcolm 84).
Stadion am Bruchweg, Mainz
Attendance: 5,200
Germany: Jentzsch (sub Borel 46), Hinkel (sub Kringe 58), Voigt, Preuss, Franz, Schindzielorz, Bierofka, Ernst, Daun, Kuranyi (sub Meier 46), Frommer (sub Meyer 69).
Scotland: Gallacher (Dundee Utd), I. Murray (Hibernian), Crainey (Celtic) (sub Canero (Kilmarnock) 67), G. Caldwell (Newcastle Utd), Malcolm (Rangers), S. Caldwell (Newcastle Utd, capt.), Rae (Dundee) (sub Kennedy (Celtic) 88), Nicholson (Dunfermline Ath) (sub Hughes (Rangers) 46), Kyle (Sunderland), Glass (Watford) (sub S. Murray (Bristol City) 41), Miller (Wolverhampton W) (sub Harper (Portsmouth) 81).
Unused substitutes: N. Alexander (Cardiff City), McGovern (Celtic), Arthur (Partick Thistle).
Referee: Laurent Duhamel (France)

25 February, 2003
Turkey 1 (Eris 37), Scotland (Gray 18).
Ataturk Stadium, Antalya
Attendance: 1,000
Turkey: Tekgoz, Gunes, Ak, Yavuz, Guracar, Bayraktar, Karadeniz, Cihan, Ates (sub Gursel 83), Ozgur, Eris.
Scotland: Gallacher (Dundee Utd), Stockdale (Middlesbrough) (sub Canero (Kilmarnock) 46), Webster (Heart of Midlothian), Malcolm (Rangers), G. Caldwell (Newcastle Utd), Williams (Nottingham Forest), Gray (Bradford City), Nicholson (Dunfermline Ath), Kyle (Sunderland) (sub Noble (West Ham Utd) 64), Hutchison (West Ham Utd, capt.), Harper (Portsmouth) (sub McAllister (Aberdeen) 87).
Unused substitutes: Stillie (Dunfermline), Doig (Nottingham Forest), Wilson (Dunfermline), Cummings (Chelsea), Arthur (Partick Thistle).
Referee: Peter Sippel (Germany).

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Spot on re comments about big Willie & Marjory. What a lovely, classy lady she was. Recall all the help she gave to us when we were sorting a trip to the games in Busan (South Korea) & Hong Kong in 2002. Also recall fondly her getting in touch when I was in hospital several months later with a brain bug caused by an insect bite on that trip several months earlier. Nearly checked out on that one. Also remember Marjory from when I made a casual remark about my ticket stub (which I collected) from a friendly in Portugal (Braga if I mind right) getting ruined as it was a torrential downpour from start to finish with no cover. Next thing I knew was Marjory sent me a whole ticket through the post, presumably from the Scotland allocation that went unsold. To be fair to the folk there now with the Travel Club I think the numbers back then were maybe more manageable.

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks ScottishFA for reply. Marjory and I were at University and Jordanhill together in the distant past. I hadn't seen her since leaving Jordanhill in 1977 until I walked into Park Gardens one day in the early 1990s to be confronted by her behind the desk.
Last edited by Vasco on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:33 am

Boris57 wrote:Spot on re comments about big Willie & Marjory. What a lovely, classy lady she was. Recall all the help she gave to us when we were sorting a trip to the games in Busan (South Korea) & Hong Kong in 2002. Also recall fondly her getting in touch when I was in hospital several months later with a brain bug caused by an insect bite on that trip several months earlier. Nearly checked out on that one. Also remember Marjory from when I made a casual remark about my ticket stub (which I collected) from a friendly in Portugal (Braga if I mind right) getting ruined as it was a torrential downpour from start to finish with no cover. Next thing I knew was Marjory sent me a whole ticket through the post, presumably from the Scotland allocation that went unsold. To be fair to the folk there now with the Travel Club I think the numbers back then were maybe more manageable.
Ditto Boris, I also got a Portugal ticket through the post from Marjory after my one disintegrated in the Braga downpour.

As far as the Travel Club is concerned, of course we're now a Supporters Club and viewed by the SFA as an income stream, and treated accordingly.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:26 pm

Sad that that's how the "Travel Club" has gone. I let my membership lapse a few years back now - I joined right at the start (No.306 I think I was). Progress.........not!

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Boris57 wrote:Sad that that's how the "Travel Club" has gone. I let my membership lapse a few years back now - I joined right at the start (No.306 I think I was). Progress.........not!
I’m afraid not Boris, we’re now a “Supporters Club” with 30k members, of which probably only 2,000 travel on a regular basis, therefore the needs and wishes of those who travel are drowned out by the majority who have little interest in away games unless its Wembley or Dortmund or such like. 30k members at £50 a pop every two years is a lot of money for the SFA, and of course they can then bombard the membership with emails promoting this and that, whilst removing basic services such as the guidance notes.

I was at a meeting a few years back at Hampden when the CEO was Gordon Smith, the point was made to the SSC staff in attendance at the meeting that many members didn’t want t-shirts or badges or whatever other “free” gifts went along with membership renewal, they’d rather the cost of renewal was reduced instead. The answer was “they didn’t want to devalue the product”. There you have it.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:23 pm

Sad to hear that - but not surprised. "Modern fitba" - money is all, supporters are incidental. As you point out that's one tidy wee source of income for the SFA. Take it the Guidance Notes are no more then - they were superb, very collectable in themselves.

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Boris57 wrote:Sad to hear that - but not surprised. "Modern fitba" - money is all, supporters are incidental. As you point out that's one tidy wee source of income for the SFA. Take it the Guidance Notes are no more then - they were superb, very collectable in themselves.
Aye, it went from the old style A5 booklet guidance notes, into a pocket size colour fold out style. The last one was, I think, Spain in Alicante in 2011, then they were stopped without warning.

I have most going back to around 1998, and a few before then. As you say, a wee collectable in their own right, I have a wants list of the ones I’m missing!