Alexander Wood

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Alexander Wood

Postby markbfc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi, I'm a Brentford historian after some information on Alexander Wood.

He played for Airdrieonians in 1926-27 after signing from Greenock Overton. What newspapers would be best to research these two teams in that era? Thank you in advance.
markbfc

Re: Alexander Wood

Postby bluedragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 am

markbfc wrote:Hi, I'm a Brentford historian after some information on Alexander Wood.

He played for Airdrieonians in 1926-27 after signing from Greenock Overton. What newspapers would be best to research these two teams in that era? Thank you in advance.

You say he played for Greenock Overton. While there was an Overton Athletic playing as a Junior club out of Greenock at that time, John Litster’s disk shows him signing for Airdrieonians from Overtoun Juniors. I think he may have played for Lanarkshire Junior club, Overtown Rangers who were in Division One of the Lanarkshire Junior Football League in the 1925/26 Season; the season before he joined Airdrie. However, to confuse matters in some newspapers this is given as “Overtoun Rangers” or just called “Overtoun Juniors”. Overtown is about 10 miles from Airdrie and it might seem a more natural route to take from Junior to Senior football at that time. There was also a Juvenile side, Overtoun Thistle, that produced some good players.

I recall that Brian McColl’s excellent on-line Scottish Football Historical Archive did have a list of local newspapers over the years that will give you what you need. Unfortunately in a quick look I could not locate it but I am sure someone else can.
bluedragon

Postby ScottishFA » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 pm

A few items from a quick look at BNA and other sources.

The Larne Times, 29 August 1931, reports that Alex Wood (ex Charlton) has joined Larne; then on 26 September that he had returned home to Scotland for good after a month's trial.

A note of caution in case there is confusion between different players. There was a John Wood (perhaps a brother) who joined Albion Rovers from Overton in January 1926, and went to Airdrieonians in summer 1927, then back to Albion Rovers in 1931 where he finished - according to John Litster's disks.

The Dundee Courier of 13 October 1932 reports that Wood (Airdrie), an outside left, has joined Bo'ness. In which case he wins a 'nae luck' award as Bo'ness stopped playing at the end of that month and were expelled from the Scottish League. No mention of whether this was John or Alex.

Then in 1933 another Alex Wood, Scottish born but brought up in Chicago, joined Leicester City.
ScottishFA

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks to some research carried out by David Ross a few years back I can supply the following info from Woods time at Airdrie.
Debut at home to Cowdenbeath (5-2) on 18/09/1926 (played at no 8)
25/09/1926 v Morton (1-2)
02/10/1926 v Kilmarnock (2-0)
12/02/1927 v Kilmarnock (2-4)
19/02/1927 v Queen's Park (5-0)
16/03/1927 v Celtic (1-2) Wood scored the Airdrie goal
30/03/1927 v Partick Thistle (3-1)

season 1927/28
03/09/1927 v Hibernian (3-2)
10/09/1927 v Hamilton A (2-0) 1 goal
17/09/1927 v Rangers (1-2)
24/09/1927 v Dundee (1-1)
14/01/1928 v Rangers (2-7)
22/02/1928 v Motherwell (0-2)
17/03/1928 v Partick Thistle (2-0)
07/04/1928 v Aberdeen (2-1)
09/04/1928 v Celtic (3-1) 1 goal
14/04/1928 v Hearts (1-1)
21/04/1928 v St Johnstone (2-0)

One of Alex Woods appearances from 1927/28 is missing from the spreadsheet. I will post an update.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby leicester » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Just to eliminate the Sandy Wood of Leicester City from this skein, herewith his profile from "Of Fossils & Foxes" (2016 edition):

Wood, Alexander Lochian
b. Lochgelly, Fife, 12th June 1907; d. Gary, Indiana, USA, 20th July 1987
Career: Gary Soccer Club; 1923 Chicago Bricklayers; 1929 Holley Carburetors FC (Detroit); Nov 1930 Brooklyn Wanderers; Feb 1933 CITY; May 1936 Nottingham Forest; cs 1937 Colchester United; cs 1938 Chelmsford City.
City debut v Blackpool (H) 30.3.1933
A distinctly well-travelled left-back, Sandy had won a Scottish schoolboy cap (against Wales in May 1921) just before his family sailed to try their fortune in the United States; settling in Gary, Indiana. He became a naturalised American (1922) and, having starred in such Stateside soccer showpieces as the 1928 US Open Cup Final (when Chicago Bricklayers lost on aggregate to New York Nationals), was chosen to appear in each of the three games the USA played in reaching the semi-final of the inaugural World Cup in Uruguay in 1930. Having eventually earned four caps in total for his adopted country, and appeared in Brooklyn Wanderers’ second-placed side in the American Soccer League of 1931, Sandy found full-time work difficult to obtain in Depression-hit America, and sailed for England. After trials for City, he signed League forms – only to become entangled in the combined red tape of the FA and the Home Office. For some time Sandy had to turn out as an amateur on a short-term permit; but was then officially repatriated. For just over three seasons at Filbert Street he vied principally with Dai Jones for the left-back berth, assisting City to their first-ever Cup semi-final in 1934 – when he broke his nose in a touchline collision with a photographer, but carried on playing. He also broke his collarbone at Hillsborough during City’s relegation campaign a year later, and eventually moved on to Trentside for a £750 fee. Sandy, quoting betting losses and a bank balance of exactly £1, suffered a bankruptcy hearing in Nottingham a year later, but soon became a member of Colchester United’s newly-formed professional side (who won the Southern League Cup in their first term), and he earned inter-league representative selection alongside club-mate George Ritchie. With Chelmsford (also newly professionalised) at the same level, he featured in a Cup run to Round Four that saw them eclipse Darlington and Southampton en route. He briefly worked in a Marconi Radio plant on the outbreak of war, then sailed once more for the States in October 1939; settling back in Gary, and working for the US Steel Corporation (where he helped start up a soccer club) until retirement in 1970. Four years before that, he assisted his son William in inaugurating a youth soccer league in Northwest Indiana. Shortly before his death, Sandy was inducted to the US Soccer Hall of Fame in 1986. His father William had been a Motherwell inside-forward in 1905; his sister Etta was a champion swimmer, while his niece Jeanne Stunyo was an Olympic silver-medallist diver in 1956.
Apps: FL 52; FAC 5.

Cheers,
PT
leicester

Postby ScottishFA » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:56 pm

I think his middle name was Lothian, not Lochian.
ScottishFA

Postby leicester » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks, SFA.
I have to admit that this is an irksome one. Sandy's birth registration image on Scotland's People actually shows no middle name whatsoever.
The widely-used 'Lochian' variant emanated from long-ago correspondence with Stateside soccer historian Colin Jose; and previous to your post I'd only ever come across the 'Lothian' rendering in a cluster of reports around Sandy's bankruptcy in Nottingham. I now find, however, that his arrival in New York in 1939 also gives Lothian. Less helpfully, he's on both the 1939 Register and the 1940 US Census as simply Alexander L Wood.
I'll add a caveat to the entry.

PT
leicester

Postby ScottishFA » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Middle names usually have a family origin, eg mother's maiden name, so it may be possible to confirm one way or another with a bit more digging into the family tree.
ScottishFA

Postby BMCCOLL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 am

bluedragon wrote:I recall that Brian McColl’s excellent on-line Scottish Football Historical Archive did have a list of local newspapers over the years that will give you what you need. Unfortunately in a quick look I could not locate it but I am sure someone else can.

Here is the list...

Dumfries & Galloway
Dumfries Gazzete,

Ayrshire
Ardrossan Herald, Ardrossan North Ayrshire
Ayrshire Post, Ayr
Kilmarnock Herald Kilmarnock South Ayrshire Results
Cumnock News, Cumnock, South Ayrshire

Renfrewshire
Paisley Gazzete – Most of Renfrewshire - Paisley
Greenock Telegraph, John Watt Library, Greenock, South Renfrewshire
The Buteman, Rothesay
PAISLEY DAILY STANDARD
PAISLEY JOURNAL AND RENFREWSHIRE GAZETTE

Argyle
ARGYLLSHIRE ADVERTISER AND WEST COAST JOURNAL Oban Library
ARGYLLSHIRE HERALD AND CAMPBELTOWN ADVERTISER Oban Library
ARGYLLSHIRE LEADER & WESTERN ISLES GAZETTE Oban Library
Oban Times Oban Library
The Argyle Advetiser Lochgiphead Library
The Buteman Rothesay

Dumbartonshire
Lennoxtown Gazzete, Dumbarton Library
Clydebank Post, Clydebank

Borders
Border Telegraph, Galashields
Ediburgh Evening News, Edibrugh Central Library
Courier, North Berwick
PEEBLES COUNTY NEWSPAPER AND GENERAL ADVERTISER

Lothian
Loanhead district Library, Loanhead
Blackburn district Library, Blackburn West Lothain number of papers
Evening News, Edinburgh Central Library
Courier, North Berwick
PORTOBELLO ADVERTISER & LEITH, MUSSELBURGH & DALKEITH WEEKLY
SPORTS DISPATCH (EDINBURGH) National Library of Scotland

Lanarkshire
Hamilton Advertiser

Stirlingshire
Falkirk Herald, Falkirk Central Library
Stirling Post, Stirling
Alloa Advertiser, Alloa

Fife
Eric's Site
Dunfermline Pres, Dunfermline
Kirkcaldy Gaurdian and Fife Free Press, Kirkcaldy
Perthshire Courier 1900 – 1914
Perthshire Advertiser, 1919 – pd North Fife
Dundee Evening Telegraph, Dundee Library
Dundee Advertiser & Courier, Dundee Library

Perthshire
Perthshire Courier 1900 – 1914
Perthshire Advertiser – 1919 – pd

Forfarshire
Dundee Evening Telegraph, Dundee Library
Dundee Advertiser & Courier, Dundee Library
ARBROATH HERALD - Arbroath Library
ARBROATH JOURNAL
Brechin Advertiser, Brechin Library

Aberdeenshire & Morayshire
ABERDEEN ADVERTISER
ABERDEEN CHRONICLE
ABERDEEN CITIZEN
ABERDEEN EVENING EXPRESS
ABERDEEN GUARDIAN & NORTHERN CHRONICLE
ABERDEEN PRESS & JOURNAL
ABERDEEN REVIEW & NORTH OF SCOTLAND ADVERTISER
Bon Accord up to 1914
All Abredeen City Library (the one in bold is the best up to WWII)
Northern Scot Elgin district Library
Stonehaven Library set of local newspapers evening editions are best for sports

Glasgow
Evening News
Evening Gazzete
Sunday Mail 1920
Herald
The Umpire up to 1889
The Referee up to 1914
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf
BMCCOLL

Postby EastJunior » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 pm

An amendment to the above, the West Lothian Libraries History HQ has moved from Blackburn to Linlithgow (old court buildings I think), along with the newspaper microfilms, which include the West Lothian Courier and the Linlithgow Gazette.
EastJunior

Return to SFAQS