Newspaper Team Line-ups - Convention Query

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Newspaper Team Line-ups - Convention Query

Postby Boris57 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:07 pm

When researching team line-ups for games in the early days of football & probably through as far as the late 1930's in newspapers I've sometimes come across a surname being shown in inverted commas - e.g. Smith, Jones, "McTavish" ........ I was never really sure why but recently I noted one such case & then came across a comment in the same newspaper a few days later along the lines of "the player who turned out as "McTavish" last Saturday is believed to have been......". The name shown is always a player who would normally be in the team but seems to indicate that the reporter knew it was somebody else. I've frequently come across trialists in line-ups but they tend to be listed as "Junior" or "A.N.Other", etc.

What do fellow researchers think? Was there a convention as to when this type of notation was used?
Boris57

Re: Newspaper Team Line-ups - Convention Query

Postby RobertB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 am

Doing Arthurlie research ive seen this a few times, for example today Arthurlie signed Dickson who had scored two goals last Saturday under the name of Brown. My understanding is that they put the correct names on team sheets etc but posted the false name on noticeboards etc so as not to alert other clubs of the players availability.
RobertB

Postby Boris57 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:19 pm

That ties in perfectly with my line of thinking after finding a few similar instances during ongoing research. Thanks for reply.
Boris57

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:10 am

In the 19thC, a nom de guerre was often assumed to prevent parents, friends or colleagues discovering they were playing "soccer" on a Saturday afternoon. The player might be an attendee of a Rugby football playing school or an FP, be avoiding a social engagement, turning out for one club without telling another etc. Of course there were fairly prominent players who chose to play occasionally under assumed names. Charles Campbell, for instance, who collected 8 Scottish Cup winners medals with Queen`s Park, won 13 Scottish caps(9 as captain), played in 2 losing English Cup Finals, refereed Cup Finals and was president of the SFA sometimes turned out as "Elliot" for why, no-one now seems to know.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Return to SFAQS