Multiple Goalkeepers

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Multiple Goalkeepers

Postby Shawfield Boy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:31 am

Clyde have recently broken a club record with the use of our 6th goalkeeper this season (with a 7th an unused sub). Can anyone else match or "better" this figure. An extract from my programme article gives more details

"The six incumbents this season started off with regular goalie John Gibson, however, for the Challenge Cup match against Partick Thistle Under-20’s Mark McMillan got the nod. John came back in, but that was only until Brett Long, on loan from Dundee United, played a single match in early January against Stirling Albion. John came back into the team after that game, and stayed there until he was sent-off with eight minutes to go against Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup, whereupon Dylan Caddis was brought on. Following John’s red card, the club secured the services of Connor Quinn, on loan from Livingston. Connor’s performance between the sticks against Ayr United at Somerset meant he retained the jersey for a further three matches, until he joined John Gibson on the injury list, although he still managed to hobble through against Edinburgh City. All this allowed Mark McMillan some further game time, however John Gibson came back in again. Then, when loan signing Kyle Gourlay made his debut against Cowdenbeath recently, he became the sixth goalie to play for the Bully Wee this season. Incidentally, all this is without mention of Matt Creechan, who occupied the bench for a couple of matches early on in the season".

PS Please, no suggestions we should have played them all at the one time!!!!!!
Shawfield Boy

Re: Multiple Goalkeepers

Postby bluedragon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 am

I believe the record in England is held by Walsall in the 1972/73 season with seven goalkeepers in a season. This was, of course, before the days of substitute goalkeepers and so that would have been all seven between the sticks! The club ended up 17th out of 24 clubs in the old Third Division.
bluedragon

Postby bluedragon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:57 am

For completeness here is what I think is the English record. Walsall played 46 league games and here are the 7 goalkeepers used.

John Osborne 3 games joined them on loan from West Bromwich Albion
Dennis Peacock 10 ganes on loan from Nottingham Forest
Keith Ball 2 games
Jimmy Inger 2 games
Glen Johnson 3 games on loan from Doncaster Rovers
Ian Turner 3 games on loan from Grimsby Town
Bob Wesson 23 games

No Scots among the custodians but there is a Clyde connection I think. According to John Litster’s disk Doug Devlin was on Clyde’s books before moving to Wolverhampton Wanderers. He was at Walsall in that season and played 15 (plus 3 as sub.) league games.

Much travelled Willie Penman, a Junior Cup winner with St Andrews United in 1960, played 41 (plus 3 as sub.) league games for Walsall that season.
bluedragon

Postby Shawfield Boy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks Bluedragon, I went upstairs to get my Rothmans 72/73 only to find I'm missing that one, so thanks for clarifying. Wonder whether anyone can clarify the Scottish record?
Shawfield Boy

Postby sam peckinpah » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 am

Airdrie fielded seven goalkeepers during 2013/14. Colin Stewart started the season then Andy Duncan took over after he was released. Duncan was ordered-off in a match versus Dunfermline so was replaced by Johnny Greir who made his one-and-only appearance, saving a penalty in the process. Scott Gallagher and Danny Rogers subsequently made appearances as loan signings then Tony Bullock made a sole appearance in a cup-tie at Ibrox. Grant Adam took over for the remainder of the season.
sam peckinpah

Postby Partick Thistle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:05 pm

8 'keepers have appeared for Thistle in 2016-17, although only 4 of these have been in competitive action.

I'd be surprised if the Scottish record doesn't lie at Firhill. 10 players kept goal for Thistle in season 1987-88. They were: Andy Arroll; Archie MacLean; John Brough; Brian Scrimgeour; Tom Carson; Rikki Ferguson; Murray McDermott; Hugh Stevenson; Fred Jackson; David Haxton. All bar Scrimgeour were actual 'keepers. 9 of them appeared in competitive action.

Amazingly, we played 7 different 'keepers in 7 consecutive matches:
17.10.1987 Hamilton Academical [h] W1-0 (SFL First Division - game 14) John Brough
20.10.1987 Dumbarton [a] L2-4 (SFL First Division - game 15) Rikki Ferguson
24.10.1987 Raith Rovers [a] L3-4 (SFL First Division - game 16) Murray McDermott
31.10.1987 East Fife [a] L1-2 (SFL First Division - game 17) Hugh Stevenson
03.11.1987 Kilmarnock [h] W1-0 (SFL First Division - game 18) Fred Jackson
07.11.1987 Clyde [h] L1-4 (SFL First Division - game 19) David Haxton
11.11.1987 Airdrieonians [a] L1-3 (SFL First Division - game 20) Archie MacLean

As an aside, how are you gettin' on with The Clyde Archive Syd?
William
Partick Thistle

Postby bluedragon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

That must be the Scottish record for both number (9 in competitive action) and consecutive changes! It is interesting to reflect that at the other extreme goalkeepers can often hold consecutive appearance and total appearance records for clubs.

I am sure there was a post on the forum a few years that said East Stirlingshire played four goalkeepers in one match - first 'keeper substituted - second 'keeper off the bench and then sent off - the outfield player who replaced him was also sent off - a second outfield player took his place and made it to the end of the game!
bluedragon

Postby Shawfield Boy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:36 am

Good stuff Gents.

The East Stirling game is mentioned on here http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/index.html. I contacted this website yesterday, forgetting the expertise that exists on here, so I'll forward this trail to them, it looks like my offering of "six" is paltry compared to others. Still, there's four matches left.

William, unfortunately the website got hacked and I don't really have the time (or inclination) at this stage to start again. I've still got all the info and uploads, If you need anything just contact me.

Cheers

Syd
Shawfield Boy

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 am

Probably the worst possible start. In Kilmarnock `keeper Archie Cree`s first match, Morton beat Killie 9-2 at Cappielow Park, League 21/8/1920. He only played another four 1st team games.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Partick Thistle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Probably the worst possible start. In Kilmarnock `keeper Archie Cree`s first match, Morton beat Killie 9-2 at Cappielow Park, League 21/8/1920. He only played another four 1st team games.

In a January break friendly versus Lokeren a few months ago, Thistle were leading 2-1 at the break. Mark Ridgers, who came on as a substitute at half-time, conceded less than a minute into his debut. Thistle went on to lose 5-2. Based on all the known reports, Mark, amazingly, was actually the 4th Thistle debutant to have conceded within 60 seconds. The record probably lies with Archie McDonald. Newly signed from Ayr, he made his debut on Tues-15-Aug-1899 against post-liquidation Clyde, who had 10 guests in their eleven. Straight from kick-off, without a Thistle player having touched the ball, McDonald had conceded! Our two other first-minute unfortunates were Colin Brodie, who conceded to Owen Coyle after just 35 seconds of an October '86 League clash at Boghead, and new £100,000 signing Andy Murdoch who conceded a headed goal from a corner in a League match at Kilbowie in January '89.

Shawfield Boy wrote:Good stuff Gents.
William, unfortunately the website got hacked and I don't really have the time (or inclination) at this stage to start again. I've still got all the info and uploads, If you need anything just contact me.

That's shocking! I never knew, I thought you were having a super-duper revamp behind the scenes. Shame, it was a cracking site you had put together. Same thing happened with DUFC Archive recently. It's beyond me why someone would do such a thing on niche-interest websites.
William
Partick Thistle

Return to SFAQS