The Pompey Cup

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

The Pompey Cup

Postby Shawfield Boy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

I've been asked about The Pompey Cup, and I now know it's connection and why it was created.

I also know that Duntocher Hibs won the inaugral tournament in 1949/50, and Cambuslang Rangers won it in 1966/67, but is there a complete list somewhere that I've missed, and who were the last winners?

Also, what is (or was) the format of the cup, what is it's current status, and was there ever a senior tournament named The Pompey Cup (possibly for three or four senior clubs)?

Thanks in advance...
Shawfield Boy

Re: The Pompey Cup

Postby gogsy1968 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Some winners in Bernard Stocks book "The Winners"
49/50 Duntocher Hibs
50/1 Dennistoun Waverley
51/2 Clydebank juniors
52/3 to 54/5 Bailleston
55/6 Rutherglen Glencairn
56/7 & 57/8 Kilsyth rangers
58/9 Pollok
59/60 Ashfield
60/1 Clydebank juniors
61-2 Pollok
62-3 No competition
63-4 Johnstone Burgh
gogsy1968

Postby sureitsza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:46 pm

To celebrate their golden jubilee, Portsmouth FC presented the Scottish Central League with the Pompey Cup. This was in recognition of the long friendship between the two and Portsmouth’s close connection with Scottish football. The trophy was presented at a banquet in November 1948, (from Sunday Post, November 18, 1948).

There is more info in the Portsmouth Evening News on October 6, 1948 (I don’t have access at the moment).

The competition was played annually on a knock-out basis.

Other winners;
1964-65 Johnstone Burgh
1965-66 Greenock
1966-67 Cambuslang Rangers
1967-68 Port Glasgow
sureitsza

Postby Shawfield Boy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks Gents, I had Cambuslang Rangers in 66/67, but not Port Glasgow so that extends the lifetime of the tournament by a season. Thanks again.
Shawfield Boy

Postby Vasco » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 am

My recollections of the time are that the Pompey Cup was played for by a limited number of teams (criteria unknown) near the end of the season. I knew that the Burgh had won it a few times, but not as few as twice.
Vasco

Postby bluedragon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 am

This is a very interesting thread on the background of the competition. There is coverage in the Portsmouth Evening News on 4 & 6 October 1949. I could not find any coverage in 1948 although that is the year the Pompey Cup had its origins as it was given on the occasion of Portsmouth FC’s Golden Jubilee.

The Pompey Cup was formally handed over at a dinner at Shawfield Stadium after a friendly between Clyde and Portsmouth on 5 October 1949. The Cup was accepted by John McCallum (president of the Central League). Portsmouth had given the Pompey Jubilee Cup the year before but this was the formal presentation. Portsmouth and Clyde had won the FA and Scottish Cups respectively in the 1938/39 season. This friendly between the two cup holders had been planned for the following season but the outbreak of War meant it was 1946 before the clubs met at Portsmouth. The reciprocal match could not be arranged until 1949. This Portsmouth team were reigning Football League Champions and had brought the trophy with them to Glasgow.

Portsmouth brought a squad of 12 players to Shawfield including four Scots (Harry Ferrier, Jimmy Scoular, Bill Thompson, Duggie Reid) and another (Jimmy Easson) was trainer.

Portsmouth went on to retain the Football League Championship in the 1949/50 season and two of the Scots in the Shawfield match played key roles in the last match of the season when the destination of the title was decided. Portsmouth had a 5:1 home win against Aston Villa. The Pompey goals came from two full-blooded drives from Bill Thompson and a hat-trick from Duggie “Thunderboots” Reid. Bill Thomson was drafted in from wing half to play as an emergency centre forward and these were the only goals he ever scored in his Football League career.
bluedragon

Postby bluedragon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am

One final part. John McMahon and Fred Denovan (President and Secretary respectively of the Scottish Football League) were the official Scottish representatives at Portsmouth FC’s Golden Jubilee banquet in November 1948. The hosts presented the trophy and the Scottish representatives accepted it on behalf of the Central League. The 1949 game at Shawfield gave them the chance to present it directly to the Central League.
bluedragon

Postby Shawfield Boy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

I wrote about the first match some time ago in the programme...

"I recently purchased a programme for the Portsmouth v Clyde friendly match played on the 16th of October 1946. My interest in it, apart from now being the oldest programme I have in my Clyde collection, is that it probably holds some kind of World Record for being the friendly match that took the longest time from conception to actually being played – seven years to be precise. Back in 1939, Clyde beat Motherwell 4-0 to win the Scottish Cup, whilst Portsmouth beat Wolves 4-1 in the English equivalent, so it was agreed to play a friendly between the two Cup Winners of the respective countries. Of course the War intervened, so when the match finally took place at Fratton Park it was between two almost entirely different team line-ups. Not one Clyde player from 1939 was still with the club, although Pompey had at least four members of their victorious 1939 team playing that evening. Interestingly, though, both managers – Pat Travers of Clyde and Jack Tinn of Portsmouth – were both still in charge. Another interesting snippet was that the Portsmouth Chairman was Field Marshall The Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, or Monty as he was better known. Oh yes, the game itself; well, unfortunately it finished in a 3-1 win for Portsmouth, who were building up to be one of the top English sides of that

Also, the return at Shawfield was Harry Haddock's debut for the Bully Wee.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Shawfield Boy

Return to SFAQS