Rangers Sports

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Rangers Sports

Postby Snuff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Hugh Barrow (Victoria Park AC), was once the fastest teenager in the world over one mile. Hugh recently sent me a newspaper article (it looked like the Herald) with the results of the inaugural Rangers FC Sports, run in conjunction with Clydesdale Harriers. We reckon it was held in 1888.

As would always be the case, the athletics (and cycling) events were interspersed by some football, in these inaugural sports, four rather than five-a-side. Third Lanark won the event, beating Rangers 4-0 in the final. However, in the semi-finals, Rangers beat Queen's Park by: "one touchdown to nil", while Third Lanark beat Partick Thistle by: "two goals and one touch-down to one goal".

Now, I appreciate in rugby in those days - you scored a touch-down, which allowed you to try to convert it into a goal - hence "try". But, touch-downs in four-a-side football?

Can anyone explain how this came about? It certainly has me puzzled.

I also noticed, in the 440-yards handicap, a T E Maley of Clydesdale Harriers finished third. This, I am sure is Tom Maley, Celtic manager Willie Maley's brother and himself a noted Celtic player.
Snuff
Snuff

Return to SFAQS