PARK or STADIUM

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

PARK or STADIUM

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Was there an “official” time when Ibrox Park became Ibrox Stadium and the parks @ Shawfield & Firhill also become stadiums? The press seems to have started calling the Edmiston Drive ground a stadium circa 1938, the one @ the Firhill basin around the 1970s and Shawfield at the end of the War.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: PARK or STADIUM

Postby bluedragon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:27 am

The first mention of Ibrox Stadium in the newspapers I can see is in August 1937 when the name is used in reports on the build-up to the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Glasgow where it was used for the opening ceremony. Maybe “Stadium” was adopted in publicity material to make it clear that it was different from the main venue at Bellahouston Park or to associate it in some way with the Empire Stadium at Wembley built for the 1924 Exhibition?

A quick look at the British Newspaper Archive shows “Shawfield Park” and “Shawfield Stadium” being used at the same time with more often than not the former in football references and the latter for greyhound racing.
bluedragon

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 am

Thank you for that. From memory of my old football prgramme collection, I`m sure Empire Stadium, Wembley still appeared on the front cover right into the 60s.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 am

bluedragon wrote:

A quick look at the British Newspaper Archive shows “Shawfield Park” and “Shawfield Stadium” being used at the same time with more often than not the former in football references and the latter for greyhound racing.

Strange that, I would have thought - you take your dog to the park, but, play football in a stadium.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby bluedragon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Thank you for that. From memory of my old football prgramme collection, I`m sure Empire Stadium, Wembley still appeared on the front cover right into the 60s.

Buildings of Empire by Ashley Jackson says that the change of name officially took place in 1977. However, on football programmes, etc.it may have changed earlier. I have a 1969 programme that says “Empire Stadium” and a 1973 one that says “Wembley”.
bluedragon

Postby Angusfifer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:48 am

In November 1998 when East Fife visited Partick Thistle the match programme had Firhill Park as the venue. Five months later it was Firhill Stadium. I think the new (Jackie Husband?) stand was built around that time, perhaps prompting the change of name.
Clyde programme covers from the early 50's have an advert relating to the "nearest pub to the stadium". Shawfield, as previously mentioned was a venue for more than one sport, possibly allowing it to advertise itself as a stadium...
Angusfifer

Postby Partick Thistle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Do what comes natural I say, and avoid the pitfalls of trying to follow the whimsical nature of club chairmen from down throughout the years. I avoid references to Park or Stadium as much as possible, and I think this thread shows that to be a good policy.

Shawfield, Tynecastle, Firhill, Ibrox, Boghead, Brockville, etc. etc.; a great number of our grounds lend themselves well to these natural titles without need for appendage.

I would use only if needs must. East Fife, for example, I list as Bayview up until the move, whereupon I start to use Bayview Stadium. The likes of Accies' ground name insists that it be labelled New Douglas Park, and that's fine.

Speaking of being natural, I might add that I always ignore sponsored name stadiums. The Rock, Victoria Park and Almondvale Stadium are forever fine for me. I should add that "stadium" seems to have always been associated with, and suited, the latter.
William
Partick Thistle

Postby EastJunior » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Tynecastle Stadium reverts back to Tynecastle Park from next season.
EastJunior

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

If the sponsors are going to pay me to use their names for grounds I`ll comply(likewise polo shirts & any other clothing) but until they do I`ll continue using the grounds` last "normal" names. See my article in the very last Scottish League Review as to why football grounds are called parks. Apart from the Welsh one I can`t think of one Rugby football ground in Britain called park or stadium.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LLD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:03 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:If the sponsors are going to pay me to use their names for grounds I`ll comply(likewise polo shirts & any other clothing) but until they do I`ll continue using the grounds` last "normal" names. See my article in the very last Scottish League Review as to why football grounds are called parks. Apart from the Welsh one I can`t think of one Rugby football ground in Britain called park or stadium.

Agree 100% on stadium names, though I find Dumbarton tricky as it has never had a pre-existing proper name (though I note they now refer to it to it as Dumbarton Football Stadium)

As for rugby grounds... Poynder Park and Mansfield Park spring to mind.
LLD

Return to SFAQS