John Jackson - Scotland goalkeeper 1931-1935

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

John Jackson - Scotland goalkeeper 1931-1935

Postby Gabe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Scottish goalkeeper John Jackson who played for Partick Thistle and Chelsea during his international career, has named as John (Jakey) Jackson in the RSSSF archive. Searching on other sources to update it, I have found no diminutive as "Jakey".

The football websites agree often about proper names & nicknames, but not this time.

Thus, John Jackson was also known as Jakey ?
Gabe

Re: John Jackson - Scotland goalkeeper 1931-1935

Postby Snuff » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Gabe:

Scots useage. John is sometimes Jack; Jack can be Jake; Jake can be Jakey - no big deal.

My first name is Matthew - I am also, to some people -Matt, to others Matha, to others Matty. We're Scots, we like to be different.

Again to the world, he is Bill Shankly; but, to those of us from his wee corner of Ayrshire, he is nearly always Wullie, or Wull.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Gabe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Thank a lot, Matt.

I had this doubt as all websites show nearly always (Wikipedia too) the nicknames or diminutives (e.g.)
Thomas “Tosh” McKinlay, Robert "Rab" Douglas, etc.
This time ONLY The RSSSF has “Jakey”.

So I asked your help to know if the use of Jakey was right. I did not want to use a name for a player I was not sure about. At last, I'm almost certain that the job for the RSSSF for those years was done by Alan, so a really reliable source. However I liked to have confirmation on SFAQS.

Thanks again.
Gabe

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Nicknames too can cause confusion to the non native English speaker although, being Scottiash, English often doesn`t come into it. Back in the 1880s, Dumbarton had two Robert Browns and to differentiate between them one was nicknamed Plumber because he was a.....The other, a slight fellow, had the nome de guerre in the press and subsequent books of Sparrow. However a Dumbartonion would have and still does call this little bird a speugie(pronounced syuggie). I once asked a local how his town name was pronounced. "If yer posh it`s Camel on. If yer no`it` Came lon, see!" Same with our capital, to the posh it`s Edinburgh to the rest of us it`s Embra and the recently retired(retired from what?) dear Queen`s husband is the Jookie Embra.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

Much as I hate to disagree with such a distinguished formu member as your good self Forrest, but, Prince Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg-Mountbatten was first referred to by his Scottish diminutavie of "Chookie Embra" (note the spelling) in the Malky McCormack/Billy Connolly cartoon "The Big Yin" in (if memory is correct) the Sunday Mail.

It is therefore, more-properly "Chookie" rather than "Jookie".
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Aw naw it isnae! My bug suster wis a teacher in Belrock Primary School in Glasgow`s East End in the mid 60s and she got her weans to write an essay on our dear Queen`s visit to Glasgow at the time & it was definitely "Jookie"! So there.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Alan McCabe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

Forrest, as a born and bred 'Mariner', I can confirm it's most definitely pronounced CAME...LON. You are indeed correct though when mentioning the posh derivative of CAMEL...ON.
I can't recall any Camelon people ever using the posh version, only the 'Fur Coat 'n' Nae Knickers' outsiders referred to us as this. The self-proclaimed 'Young Team' are probably as close as any with their KEMLIN version.
Alan McCabe

Postby Partick Thistle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 pm

There's a clear preference amongst Thistle historians for Johnny Jackson. I'm not sure I can recall a contemporary usage of Jakey or Jaikey, although I'm sure it must be there or we wouldn't see it quoted so often. Keep up the great work Gabe!
William
Partick Thistle

Return to SFAQS