Scotland 3-0 Malta 17th February 1993

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Scotland 3-0 Malta 17th February 1993

Postby Gabe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:04 pm

This time I am here to ask for your help to reply to an Australian reader - Scotland fan - of the RSSSF Archive.
He often wrote to me and already helped me to update three mistakes in the archive.

Now he writes to me via mail:

"In relation to penalty kicks during games that were saved or missed, is it feasible to add information of incidents that come to our attention? The famous saved McAllister penalty at Euro ’96 is already documented on RSSSF. I read recently that McAllister hit a penalty kick into the crossbar and there was no score as a result in Scotland’s World Cup qualifier against Malta at Ibrox in February 1993 (match #543). Here is a scan of a relevant newspaper article that refers to the missed penalty. The unfortunate thing is the timing of the penalty miss is unknown. All I know is that it was in the first half."

You can see here : http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... 021701.htm

My questions for you :

- Which was the minute of the missing penalty ?
- McAllister really kicked it into the crossbar ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gabe
Gabe

Re: Scotland 3-0 Malta 17th February 1993

Postby bluedragon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 am

Gabe - there is a very full report of the game on the Malta and International Football Collection Facebook page and it says that “Gary McAllister hit the bar from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute”. Elsewhere I found a photograph where the caption says: "Malta goalkeeper David Cluett (left) sees Gary McAllister's (2nd right) penalty kick rebound off the crossbar".

I hope this helps.
bluedragon

Postby ScottishFA » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 am

A bit more detail from a report in The Times:

"McCoist was blatantly fouled by Galea as he made to head a deflected shot from Collins which had looped over Cluett's head. McAllister smashed the penalty kick high into the centre of the goal but it struck the base of the crossbar and bounced on the line to be booted clear by Vella"

However, the report does not give a time for the incident.
ScottishFA

Postby Gabe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks to both of you !

Great help, as always.
Gabe

Return to SFAQS