Junior International records

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Re: Junior International records

Post by bluedragon » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks Andy. I think we had Willie Key in the “not absolutely sure” column as we could not see the link from Vale of Clyde to Queen’s Park. Thank you for giving us our 57th Junior/Full Internationalist.

The Key brothers International/Cup record at both grades is very impressive and probably unique. The nearest in solely Junior football are the McLennan brothers of Saltcoats Victoria who were capped in the same Junior Scotland team and played in the same Junior Cup winning team.

I have just come across identical twins playing for “England” (Birmingham FA) against Junior Scotland in 1910. Jack Lamb played at inside left and his brother Walter at outside left and each was said to have had an uncanny understanding of the play of the other.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:02 pm

By the way, I see that you have the elder brother as George Brown Key. This is another Doug Lamming mistake, he was plain George Key, born 1878.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 am

ScottishFA wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:02 pm
By the way, I see that you have the elder brother as George Brown Key. This is another Doug Lamming mistake, he was plain George Key, born 1878.
Thanks again Andy. I will correct the record.

Parkside

Post by Parkside » Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am

I am fairly certain that the Shotts United player capped as a forward against England in April 1917 was J Timmins.
Timmins played at centre forward for Shotts United during the 1916-17 season and although he gets a mention in a few newspaper reports there is no record of his first name or initial. There are however a few clues from the seasons before and after he was capped.
During the previous 1915-16 season East Benhar Heatherbell, who played only a few miles from Shotts, had a P Timmins (defender) and J Timmins (centre forward) in their line up.
In August 1917, the season after Timmins gained his cap against England, his name is in the Glenboig line up. I know it's him as he is listed as Timmins (International Centre) but again no first name or initial given.
However a few months later another Timmins appears in the Glenboig line up and the two players are distinguished by their initials as P Timmins (defender) and J Timmins (centre forward).
As the initials and positions of the Timmins in the Glenboig team are the same as in the East Benhar team of two years earlier I would guess they are the same players and it is likely they were related (possibly brothers?)
There are no other football Timmins mentioned in the Lanarkshire area over these three seasons.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Thank you very much for finding the first initial of Timmins of Shotts United. Reading through your findings I am sure that it is the same player. Often the only time in those early days we have found a first initial is when a player of the same name is in the same team. However, you then get the question "which one is it?"

Thanks again and I have updated the records.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

I have checked the notes of our search for Timmins and they read:

“We believe Timmins was a centre-forward. A centre forward Timmons turns up at Cleland 1918-21. Then a centre forward James Timmins is at Fauldhouse United 1922-24. In one of those years the newspaper says Fauldhouse re-sign veteran Timmins.”

This sounds as if he could be the same player and so “J” could be “James”.

Thanks for your help Parkside.