Junior Scotland v Scottish League clubs

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
gogsy1968

Re: Junior Scotland v Scottish League clubs

Post by gogsy1968 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:14 pm

bluedragon wrote:Thanks to you both. I have contacted John Holroyd and added in the line up from the 1923 Alloa match.
I noticed that Scotsman has the team described as Junior league select
http://londonhearts.com/scores/images/1 ... 042108.htm

Is it possible it was a Scottish Junior league select as opposed to an SJFA select? It looks like the teams that were represented were all from the Scottish Junior league.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm

gogsy1968 wrote:
bluedragon wrote:Thanks to you both. I have contacted John Holroyd and added in the line up from the 1923 Alloa match.
I noticed that Scotsman has the team described as Junior league select
http://londonhearts.com/scores/images/1 ... 042108.htm

Is it possible it was a Scottish Junior league select as opposed to an SJFA select? It looks like the teams that were represented were all from the Scottish Junior league.
Thanks for that. I did think it odd that the Alloa match was being played on the same day that the Junior Scotland team was playing in Birmingham but that explains it. Thanks as well for the link to the newspaper reference.

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:11 am

After a wee look through the Falkirk Heralds, the Stenny Historian (no me) thinks he found the game from 1971. It's no '71 but 1979 (as Stenny played Albion Rovers on that date in '71). The FH listed the side that were going to play at Ochilview as Lowrie (Blantyre Victoria), Friedman (Petershill), Sage (Forth Wanderers), Chalmers (Lesmahagow), McConville (Glenafton), Ward (Blantyre Victoria), Ure (Linlithgow Rose), McClymont (Glencairn), Gahagan (Shettleston), Hyslop (Newtongrange) and Fulton (Pollock). Reserves Martin (Tranent), Devlin (Bonnyrigg), Reynolds (Cumbernauld) and Gavin Murray (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy). Scorers Murray 2 goals, Harkins and Fulton 1 goal each. (It was in the report that Fulton was a Petershill player) As the squad was announced before the game sorry to say we canny be certain of the side that took to the field, any idea to Harkins is.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 am

Many thanks and apologies for giving you a long search due to the wrong year. The match at Ochilview was played 11 days before Junior Scotland played the Republic of Ireland in Dublin with only a few changes to that line-up.

Taking your two points and one other:

McConville (Glenafton) – I think that might be a small typo in the newspaper and is Dennis McConville of Rutherglen Glencairn.

Fulton (Pollok or Petershill) – Norrie Fulton was a Pollok player at the time of this match. He had signed from Petershill for the 1979/80 season.

Harkins – No player of this name features in other Junior Scotland line-ups at around this time. There was a goalkeeper, Jim Harkins, playing for St Rochs at the time but the mystery man is a goal scorer.

Many thanks again for your help.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Could it be Jim Harkins ex Linlithgow Rose supremo? He was a player for them mid to late seventies?

BetterThanTheTelly

Post by BetterThanTheTelly » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:21 pm

The game against Rangers on August 22, 1993 was at Newlandsfield. I have it recorded as an SJFA Under 23 Select.

Rangers won 4-1 with goals from Derek Rae, Lee Robertson and a double from Charlie Miller.

Rangers team was
Inglis, Martin, Vinnicombe, Reid, Dodds, Kuznetsov, Morrow, Rae, Robertson, Miller, Fotheringham
SUBS Patterson, McKnight

Sorry I don't have any details of the SJFA team. I'm afraid I'm a bit parochial that way!

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm

gogsy1968 wrote:Could it be Jim Harkins ex Linlithgow Rose supremo? He was a player for them mid to late seventies?
Thanks for that. I think he was a forward which would fit. I had another suggestion today - a very good winger of that name who played for Pollok and Glasgow Perthshire at that time. I will try and follow both of them up.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:05 pm

BetterThanTheTelly wrote:The game against Rangers on August 22, 1993 was at Newlandsfield. I have it recorded as an SJFA Under 23 Select.

Rangers won 4-1 with goals from Derek Rae, Lee Robertson and a double from Charlie Miller.

Rangers team was
Inglis, Martin, Vinnicombe, Reid, Dodds, Kuznetsov, Morrow, Rae, Robertson, Miller, Fotheringham
SUBS Patterson, McKnight

Sorry I don't have any details of the SJFA team. I'm afraid I'm a bit parochial that way!
Thank you. That gives us the score that we did not have before and confirms what we thought, that it was an Under-23 team.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm

bluedragon wrote:
BetterThanTheTelly wrote:The game against Rangers on August 22, 1993 was at Newlandsfield. I have it recorded as an SJFA Under 23 Select.

Rangers team was
SUBS Patterson, McKnight

Thank you. That gives us the score that we did not have before and confirms what we thought, that it was an Under-23 team.
Scotland squad for this game is given in 1993/4 Scottish Non League Review

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 am

gogsy1968 wrote:
bluedragon wrote:

Rangers team was
SUBS Patterson, McKnight

Scotland squad for this game is given in 1993/4 Scottish Non League Review
Thank you for that. Is it possible to post the Junior Scotland squad?

prorege

Post by prorege » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Not totally appropriate for this thread but not sure iof you have this game:

In 1922 the Berwickshire Amateur League decided to affiliate to the Scottish Junior FA for 1922/3. It became known as the Berwickshire Junior League. To celebrate a match was arranged as follows:

May 6 1922 Berwickshire Amateur League v Scottish Junior FA Select, at Chirnside

The Junior team selected was:

Hornal (Penicuik Juniors)
Hart (Cleland Juniors)
Hay (Edinburgh Roseberry)
Stanners (Vale of Grange)
McAvoy (Clydebank Juniors)
Pearson (Kingseat Athletic)
Forbes (Inverkeithing Juniors)
Walker (Dunblane Rovers)
Short (Edinburgh Rosebery)
Dempster (Parkead)
Pow (Tranent)

For some reason the game was switched at short nortice to the following Saturday, May 13, and was watched by a "large crowd".

FT Berwickshire League 3 Scottish Juniors 1
HT 1-1
Scorer - Shortt, described as "pivot". Not in original selection.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks Prorege. We did not have that match but the details have now been added in. It was a strong SJFA select team with four players (Charlie Stanner, Tommy McAvoy, Andrew Pearson & Forbes) who had each played in at least one of that season’s three internationals. Tommy McAvoy and James Dempster had also been in the SJFA touring party to Norway in June 1921.