A hat-trick of caps - Junior/Amateur/Senior - almost!

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

A hat-trick of caps - Junior/Amateur/Senior - almost!

Postby bluedragon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm

In the recent research on amateur and junior internationals my hope was to perhaps find a player who was capped at amateur, junior and full levels for Scotland to match the achievement of Phil Woosnam for Wales. I thought that it was unlikely but I have now come close with Alec Stewart. My thanks to Sureitza who found his forename in amongst the many Stewarts that allowed me to make the connection.

Alec Stewart was the son of goalkeeper Alex Stewart who won a cup winners medal with Falkirk in 1912/13 and who himself represented Junior Scotland and the Scottish League.

Alec Stewart was described as a strong outside left and won two Junior caps (against England and Wales) in 1927 while at Perth YMCA. It looks as if he may have joined another Perth Junior club, St Johnstone YMCA, for the 1928/29 season before joining Queen’s Park as an amateur in November 1928. He moved as an amateur to St Mirren in August 1929 and was capped for Scotland Amateurs against Ireland in October 1929. A month later he signed as a professional. In April 1932 he moved to England to play for Sheffield United but returned to Scotland without playing a first team game and signed for St Johnstone in February 1933. In 1935, he turned down St Johnstone’s terms and went to Wales where he set up in business as a builder. He also joined Rhyl Athletic. Alec Stewart scored 33 goals by early December 1935 for Rhyl. He played in the Welsh Cup final for Rhyl v Wrexham. In August 1936 Alec returned to Scotland and joined Motherwell where he played at centre forward. On 8 September 1937 he played in a trial to select the Scottish League XI to play the Football League on 22 September 1937 at Ibrox Park. Alec was selected and the Scottish League won 1:0. However, he does not appear to have retained the selectors’ interest beyond this match. Perhaps in the contest to be first to meet Jimmy Caskie’s cross, delivered courtesy of an opening created by Alex Venters, it was Alec, rather than Jimmy Delaney, that scored the goal for the Scottish League it might have been different? In November 1938 Alec signed for Falkirk (his father’s old club) and apart from a brief guest spell at Dumbarton he remained on the club’s books during the Second Work War. After serving in the Armed Forces, he was playing with Dundee United in 1945/46.

Is Alec Stewart the nearest I will get to a player with a hat-trick of caps? If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to check them out.
bluedragon

Return to SFAQS