Troqueer Cup?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
MadMac

Troqueer Cup?

Post by MadMac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Over on the Motherwell Community Group on Facebook, someone has posted a picture of a medal that was found some time ago. The back is engraved "S.A.F.A. TROQUEER CUP" (that is the correct spelling from the medal) and the front is engraved "R. McNAB CAPTAIN". It's in excellent condition, so is presumably relatively recent in origin. The finder has contacted the SAFA who state that it's not a current competition. Anyone got any ideas?

cowdenbeather

Re: Troqueer Cup?

Post by cowdenbeather » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:21 am

Well Troqueer is in Dumfries is as much as I can offer

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 am

cowdenbeather wrote:Well Troqueer is in Dumfries is as much as I can offer
Indeed it is, and Dumfries and Galloway Golf Club hold a tournament by that name! I've contacted them in case they can shed any light on it.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 am

Although the initials on the medal do not quite fit, the Stewartry Sunday Amateur Football Association might be worth investigating.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

bluedragon wrote:Although the initials on the medal do not quite fit, the Stewartry Sunday Amateur Football Association might be worth investigating.
The Dumfries and Galloway Golf Club’s Troqueer Cup appears to be a Bogey Competition and for individuals. This might rule out the medal due to the word “Captain” unless, of course, the winner was club captain at the time. But that would still leave "SAFA" unexplained.

A quick look at the British Newspaper Archive shows that Robert Stoba, a Dumfries solicitor, was keen on sports and donated a Troqueer Cup to Maxwellton Bowling Club in the early 1900’s. It is possible he donated identically named trophies to other local sports clubs/organisations.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks to all for their suggestions. As I mentioned, the medal looks fairly new. The person enquiring explained that her Grandmother found it some time ago, but has memory difficulties and can't remember where or when.