SUBSTITUTES

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

SUBSTITUTES

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Substitutes came in in Scotland for season 1966-67 @ one per side. What has been the progression dates to two, then three & now a fourth in extra time?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: SUBSTITUTES

Postby football2011 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Is was increased to two substitutes in 1973.
football2011

Postby bluedragon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Can I go off at a slight tangent please?

In the research on Junior Internationals it is clear that the SJFA and the other football association had an informal agreement on the replacement of an injured player before substitutes became part and parcel of the game. This does not appear to extend to having a 12th player stripped and in a track suit sitting on the bench. However, I have found several examples where a serious injury saw a quick touchline discussion between officials and agreement for a substitute player to rush to the dressing room, get changed and then take the injured player’s place on the field. For the visitors this was straightforward as the travelling reserve was given the nod. It might have been more difficult for the hosts. In 1950 David Pardon of Llandudno FC was a spectator at the Wales versus Scotland international at his club. He found himself on the pitch after a Welsh player had suffered a broken ankle.

The earliest example I have found is Fred Kelling (Penicuik Athletic) replacing the injured Jimmy Gordon (Renfrew Victoria) in the second half of the 1907 match versus Ireland.

It appears to me that the underlying reason was entirely sporting. The visitors had travelled along way and neither association wanted to see an uneven contest with one team depleted though injury.
bluedragon

Postby cowdenbeather » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Copy of a post on here from 2015 by Partick Thistle

Substitutions in the Scottish game

Postby Partick Thistle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I compiled this guide for myself as I couldn't see such a thing elsewhere on the web. I post it here in case it may be helpful to others via this highly searchable website.

The guide applies to Scottish domestic football only and was compiled only from the point of view of the national level senior League sides whose League campaigns have been governed by three bodies since the 1960s: SFL (Scottish Football League), SPL (Scottish Premier League) and the SPFL (Scottish Professional Football League).

From 1966-67, SFL teams can name and use 1 substitute, but only to replace an injured player. Applies to all League and Cup games.
From 1967-68, SFL teams can name and use 1 substitute for any reason. Applies to all League and Cup games.
From 1973-74, SFL teams can name and use 2 substitutes for any reason. Applies to all League and Cup games.
From 1993-94, SFL teams can name and use 3 substitutes for any reason, but one of those can only be used to replace the goalkeeper. Applies to all League and Cup games.
From 1995-96, SFL teams can name and use 3 substitutes for any reason. Applies to all League and Cup games.
From 1998-99, SPL teams can name 5 and use 3 substitutes for any reason, but in League games only.
From 2000-01, SFL teams can name 5 and use 3 substitutes for any reason, and this now applies to the national Cup competitions for all.
From 2004-05, SPL teams can name 7 and use 3 substitutes for any reason, but in League games only.
From 2013-14, SPFL teams can name 7 and use 3 substitutes for any reason in League games and in Scottish Cup games. The League Cup and Challenge Cup remain limited to naming 5.
From 2014-15, SPFL teams can name 7 and use 3 substitutes for any reason in all League and Cup games.
cowdenbeather

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm

FOOTBALL2011 & COWDENBEATHER - thanks you`re stars!
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Angusfifer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I think there is a slight differentiation now relating to having a designated substitute goalkeeper that applies in cup ties but not league games. Not certain when this rule was introduced...
Angusfifer

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Angusfifer wrote:I think there is a slight differentiation now relating to having a designated substitute goalkeeper that applies in cup ties but not league games. Not certain when this rule was introduced...

Not all Cup ties. They've removed the requirement in League games and cups run by the SPFL (League Cup / Challenge Cup) to name a designated sub goalkeeper. Your seven subs need not include a goalkeeper if you don't want it to and any sub can come on in any position.

The Scottish Cup is different as an SFA tournament. It's still a requirement in that for one of the 7 subs to be a recognised goalkeeper and that sub be the one used if goalkeeper is replaced.
Skyline Drifter

Return to SFAQS