Henry Boyd - Tollcross, Third Lanark, Falkirk and others

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Henry Boyd - Tollcross, Third Lanark, Falkirk and others

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:06 am

I am helping to research the career of Henry Boyd. We are now to trying to ensure that we have found the correct family records on the ScotlandsPeople website. The main issue is the Henry is widely reported to have been born in Pollokshaws. We believe he spent his early years there but was born elsewhere. Have we found the right person? While we have a lot of information on his varied and eventful playing career we are now trying to find references to his family life, date and place of birth, etc. that may help us prove we have indeed found the right man in the family records.

He played for three Scottish clubs:

Tollcross (Glasgow) – he played for the club in the late 1880’s before joining Sunderland Albion in August 1890.

Third Lanark – he signed for Third Lanark on 31 July 1893 and during his time with the club was selected to play for the Scottish League. He signed for Woolwich Arsenal on 14 May 1894.

Falkirk – he is reported to have joined Falkirk in August 1899 and was named in the team to play Stenhousemuir on 26 August 1899 although he does not appear to be in the team that played and I cannot find him playing later on.

Other possible links are:

United States of America - After leaving Sunderland Albion he goes “missing” in football records and we cannot find him in the 1891 Census until he re-appears signing for Burnley on 8 August 1892. It is possible that he spent time in the United States of America and one source says that while there he met fellow Scot and footballer Pat (“the Artful Dodger”) Gallocher who suggested he tried his luck with Burnley when he returned to the UK.

Brothers – We strongly believe that two of his brothers (William and Robert) are the “W Boyd” and “R Boyd” who were in match reports playing for Pollokshaws FC at around this time.

If anyone can help at all and in whatever way it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

ScottishFA

Re: Henry Boyd - Tollcross, Third Lanark, Falkirk and others

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 am

A few suggestions, if you haven't already done so:

Search for Harry as well as Henry.

Find out his address in 1893/94 when he played in the Scottish Cup with Third Lanark - the Scottish Football Museum have the registers. With luck, this will then relate to things like census returns or marriage records, which in turn confirm family details.

Find out the addresses for Robert and William, if they played in the Scottish Cup for Pollokshaws.

Track other family members for clues - I'm sure you've already focussed on the family living in Eastwood in 1881, parents John Boyd and Margaret O'Brien, with three sons called Henry, Robert and William. There are numerous family trees relating to them on ancestry.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 am

Andy, Many thanks for the very helpful advice that I will follow up.

I have the address he gave when he signed for Third Lanark. His son came along soon after and the address is given as a nearby street and so that is helpful if not conclusive.

The family living in Eastwood in 1881 is indeed the one we think is Henry Boyd the footballer. Thanks for the note about Ancestry.

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:31 pm

As his Falkirk career, he was to play against Stenhousemuir but sent a telegram saying due to a death of a relative he could not attend. Source The Falkirk Herald 2/9/1899.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Boabthe warrior wrote:As his Falkirk career, he was to play against Stenhousemuir but sent a telegram saying due to a death of a relative he could not attend. Source The Falkirk Herald 2/9/1899.
Thanks Boab. It is very sad but I think that is the link I was looking for, I think the death was his infant daughter in Pollokshaws and therefore links him to the family I had found.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm

I wonder if anyone, by any chance, has got a photograph of Henry Boyd in a team line-up from his time in Scottish football.

The most likely source would be from his time at Third Lanark where he played for the whole of the 1893/84 season. During his time at Thirds he played for the Scottish League and played in the trial matches for the Scotland International team.

He played for Vale of Clyde FC before going to England even though he returned to Scotland in early 1891 I do not think he featured in the Vale team that won the Scottish Junior Cup in 1890/91 season. He may have played briefly for Tollcross before the club’s demise in 1888.

As I have learnt from “Boabthewarrior” his time at Falkirk in August 1899 was sadly cut short before it had started by a family tragedy.

Thank you.