Edinburgh Amateur Leagues 1960s and 1970s

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
ScottishFA

Edinburgh Amateur Leagues 1960s and 1970s

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:03 pm

I've had this query sent by Sandy MacKenzie. Can anyone help?

I've tried, unsuccessfully as yet, to find information (let alone accessible information) relating to the Edinburgh Amateur football scene from around 1960. I've found medals in my brother's house from the early 1960's to the mid 1970's but no trace of any League tables, Cup histories, etc.

His team was Links United FC. Others from that era were Lorwood Amateurs, Victoria Loco (formerly Edinburgh Loco), Whitson Star, Melbourne Thistle, Tanfield, Park Vale United, Bank Villa.

The current Lothian and Edinburgh Amateur Football Association can't help, they don't know where any records may have been held.

Even searching through the newspaper database (Edinburgh Evening News) for these names doesn't reveal anything, which I find strange, as the League
tables were always published.

I suppose I could visit the library and see if they can help as they may hold copies of old newspapers on new media.

In fact any help would be appreciated as I find it incredible that such important information, and history, isn't documented!

bluedragon

Re: Edinburgh Amateur Leagues 1960s and 1970s

Post by bluedragon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am

I hope someone can help Sandy. The City of Edinburgh Central Library has an archive of the Edinburgh Evening News on microfilm that covers that time period. There always seems to have been plenty of coverage of the local amateur game, including team photographs, that I have passed over when looking for something else.

OneDayinMay

Post by OneDayinMay » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks bluedragon, that sounds hopeful.

I've been to that library before (a long, long time ago) and then they had The Edinburgh Room which had press cuttings of many things, although at that time I wasn't looking for football data.
I went on the way home from school so it must have been for a school project.

prorege

Post by prorege » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:13 am

In the late 60s and 70s the Evening News had an Amateurs feature one day a week - I think it was on a Thursday. It gave the results from the previous week, league tables and fixtures for the next week, plus a summary of news. Many teams told their players to check the Evening News on a Thursday to find out who and where they were playing. The Saturday Evening News Pink Edition also had a full page of Amateur news and usually a team photo - feature style, rather than reports on that day's games.

The Bound Volumes on the Evening News kept by the National Library of Scotland usually, but not always, contain the Pink Editions.

The micro film copies in the Edinburgh Central Library do not include the Pink Editions.

OneDayinMay

Post by OneDayinMay » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks Prorege

I'm hoping to visit there in the next week or so.