1982 UEFA U18 Championship - Lineups?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Swampy

1982 UEFA U18 Championship - Lineups?

Post by Swampy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Does anyone have the match lineups from this tournament, which Scotland won?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_UEFA ... ampionship

An Albanian researcher is asking for the Scotland-Albania game specifically, but it would be good to have them for the whole tournament, particularly since Scotland won. (If we consider the U19 cohort the successor of this team, it's the last time a team at this age group won a continental title.)

If you are in possession of these lineups I can put you in touch with the researcher directly, or forward on the information for you with you credited, for which you will receive an acknowledgement in the researcher's book.

ScottishFA

Re: 1982 UEFA U18 Championship - Lineups?

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 pm

The line-ups are not in the newspapers - perhaps distracted by the Falklands War and the Scottish Cup Final - but I managed to find the team in the SFA Annual:

23 May 1982, at Kotka. Referee F Latzin (Austria)

R Rae (Hibernian), D Beaumont (Dundee United), J Philliben (Stirling Albion), D Rennie (Leicester City), J McInally (Celtic), P McStay (Celtic, captain), D Bowman (Heart of Midlothian), B Rice (Hibernian), P Nevin (Clyde), W Livingstone (Wolverhampton Wanderers), S McGivern (Kilmarnock).

Subs: A Dick (Tottenham Hotspur) for Rice; G Mackay (Heart of Midlothian) for Livingston, both during second half.

Goals: 1-0 Rice 16, 2-0 McGivern 36, 3-0 Mackay 90.

oraclenp

Post by oraclenp » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:55 am

Whilst it doesn't really answer the question, there was a 5-page article on the squad's participation in the tournament in the September issue of "nutmeg". Written by Richard Winton, the article also covers the 1983 FIFA World Youth Championship

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 pm

ScottishFA wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 pm
The line-ups are not in the newspapers - perhaps distracted by the Falklands War and the Scottish Cup Final - but I managed to find the team in the SFA Annual:

23 May 1982, at Kotka. Referee F Latzin (Austria)

R Rae (Hibernian), D Beaumont (Dundee United), J Philliben (Stirling Albion), D Rennie (Leicester City), J McInally (Celtic), P McStay (Celtic, captain), D Bowman (Heart of Midlothian), B Rice (Hibernian), P Nevin (Clyde), W Livingstone (Wolverhampton Wanderers), S McGivern (Kilmarnock).

Subs: A Dick (Tottenham Hotspur) for Rice; G Mackay (Heart of Midlothian) for Livingston, both during second half.

Goals: 1-0 Rice 16, 2-0 McGivern 36, 3-0 Mackay 90.
That's great, thanks. I'll ask the researcher that you personally and this site are credited with the information, and the SFA Annual of 1982 given as the source.
oraclenp wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:55 am
Whilst it doesn't really answer the question, there was a 5-page article on the squad's participation in the tournament in the September issue of "nutmeg". Written by Richard Winton, the article also covers the 1983 FIFA World Youth Championship
Interesting. Did it give lineups, do you know? If so I'll steer the guy that way. In any case I've sent Richard a message and hopefully he will see it.

Thanks both for your help, much appreciated.