Why was the 1924 Scottish Cup Final played at Ibrox?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bobby s

Why was the 1924 Scottish Cup Final played at Ibrox?

Post by bobby s » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:50 am

:?:
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:43 am

Probably because it was Ibrox's turn. Even after the third Hampden Park was completed in 1903 it wasn't an automatic choice for Finals. The only Final between 1903-09 without an Old Firm presence was that of 1906 between Hearts and Third Lanark and that was taken to Ibrox.

After the 1909 riot Hampden was put to one side and four of the next five Finals went to Ibrox with the 1913 game going to Celtic Park. Hampden came back into the picture with the 1920 Final (but only because the SFA wrongly reckoned there would be a small crowd for the Killie- Albion Rovers game). Celtic Park got the 1921 Final and Hampden the two after that so Ibrox had been out of the picture since 1914.

After 1924 there wasn't a Final without an Old Firm presence until 1938 and by that time Hampden had become the automatic choice.

There were two main reasons for this:
1. It was the biggest ground
2. The Cathcart Circle line was the only one in Glasgow which could cope with massive increase in rail traffic for a big game.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Looking at the Scotsman online Archive it's interesting looking at the voting over the decision/vote where to play Scotland Home Internationals. When put to a vote 'The West' usually held preference.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:30 pm

I think for 'The West' you can read Glasgow. Rugby Park was awarded internationals in 1894 and 1910 then not again till 1997.

Really it was only the Wales game which didn't have a regular venue. From 1906 onwards Hampden was the only ground which could accommodate the England game and the Glasgow grounds were obvious venues for the Irish match for reasons we all know about but needn't go into.

From 1888 (the first time the Wales game was played outside Glasgow) till 1939 the breakdown of venues for the Welsh game was (if I've done my sums right)

Edinburgh 7 (Tynecastle 6 Easter Road 1)
Dundee 4 (Dens Park 3 Carolina Port 1)
Glasgow 4 (Ibrox 3 Celtic Park 1)
Aberdeen 3 (all Pittodrie)
Kilmarnock 2 (both Rugby Park)
Paisley 2 (Love Street 1 Underwood Park 1)
Greenock 1 (Cappielow)
Motherwell 1 (Fir Park)

There's definitely an argument for saying NONE of these games should have gone to Glasgow which already had the other two regular games but overall the east and north doesn't do too badly and with 12 separate venues in eight different locations it's clear this fixture was taken around the country.

Ironically it was the huge increase in attendances and improved transportation after the war which saw Hampden grab all the games as it was the only ground capable of accommodating the crowds. I think the first post-war international outside Hampden was when we played Belgium at Pittodrie in 1971 by which time crowds had started to fall away and Scotland were out of the running for qualification for the 1972 Nations Cup.