Glasgow Select v Football League

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Glasgow Select v Football League

Post by Scottish » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 pm

Q The Ed at scottishfitba.net sends this in:

"A question from the board

"Can anyone remember the match played between a Glasgow league select against an English league select as part of Glasgow's 800 years celebrations?

I am looking for the match report, strip and teams for that day"

I found a programme from the game on Ebay but the photo was just the front cover - no team details.

Any idea of the details?"

A If it's the same game I'm thinking about it was billed as a Silver Jubilee Appeal match as part of the Queen's Jubilee in 1977. This game was played at Hampden on May 17th 1977 - a Tuesday - but with a 3pm kick-off.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), McDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

The reason for the preponderance of Man City players was that they had completed their league programme and many other English sides hadn't. Players from Liverpool and Man Utd couldn't be considered anyway as these clubs still had to play in the FA Cup Final and Liverpool also had the European Cup Final coming up.

By contrast the Scottish domestic season was over. In any case Man City were a strong side at the time and had finished runners-up to Liverpool by just one point.

Dennis Tueart put the FL ahead in the first half. Sandy Jardine equalised from the spot after the break and Kenny Dalglish scored to make the final result 2-1 for the home team. The attendance was 28,380.

Sorry, I don't have a match report or team strips.

zamenhof59

Post by zamenhof59 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:16 am

The jersey had blue and green vertical stripes, a yellow collar and red insert at the neck with black and white cuffs,there was an umbro motif on the left breast and in the centre the badge of the Glasgow Association with the wording The Queens Silver Jubilee 1977 underneath.
The shorts were red with a yellow side stripe and had the umbro motif on the front left hand side of the shorts.
The socks were black and white with umbro motif round the top.

Both squads were managed by the managers of the England and Scotland at the time Don Revie and Willie Ormond and this game was Ormond 's last duty as manager prior to Ally Macleod assuming control of the national team.

In the official programme the full Glasgow select squad listed eighteen players, the thirteen as is listed in the previous reply with the addition of Robert Cameron (Queens Park) Ronnie Glavin (Celtic) Alan Hansen (Partick Thistle) Denis McQuade (Partick Thistle) and Brian Ahern (Clyde)
as I have in my collection of football memorabilia three philatelic covers relating to the match one cover signed by the two captains Mike Channon and Kenny Dalglish , one cover signed by the England squad and the third signed by the Glasgow Select , I note that the Glasgow select cover has been signed by the thirteen scottish players who participated in the game as well as Bobby Cameron ,Denis MacQuade,Brian Ahern and Derek Parlane (Rangers) this would suggest that Alan Hansen and Ronnie Glavin were withdrawn after the programme was printed and Parlane was called up as a replacement.

With regard to a match to celebrate Glasgow's 800 th anniversary I have signed philatelic covers and official match programme for a game played on the 13th may 1975 between Scotland and Portugal which was won by Scotland 1-0 the goal scored by Portugal's Artur Correia.

Portugal line-up Vitor Damas, Artur Correia ,Humberto Coelho, Carlos Alhinho,Antonio Barros, Octavio Machado, Joao Alves (subbed Vitor Pereira),Samuel Fraguito, Antonio Oliveira,Tamagnini Nene (subbed Fernando Gomes), Mario Moinhos (subbed Romeu da Silva)

Scotland line-up Kennedy, Jardine ,McGrain, Buchan (subbed Jackson),McQueen ,Rioch,Cooke (subbed Macari), Dalglsh,Parlane,MacDougall,Hutchison (subbed Duncan)

Kick Off was 8.00 p.m. and the attendance was 34,307
Other players listed in the Scotland squad but did not take part in the match were Alex Forsyth, Jim Brown, Tommy Craig, Brian Rodman,Robert Robinson, Frank Munro and Alfie Conn.

In retrospect it does seem somewhat odd that a match to celebrate the Queens Silver Jubilee was played involving a team that consisted of players representing the Glasgow clubs only and a match to commemorate the 800 th birthday of Glasgow involved a Scotland select.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:00 pm

zamenhof59 wrote: In retrospect it does seem somewhat odd that a match to celebrate the Queens Silver Jubilee was played involving a team that consisted of players representing the Glasgow clubs only and a match to commemorate the 800 th birthday of Glasgow involved a Scotland select.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. One explanation may be that Jubilee events were organised by local authorities. In the case of the Portugal match it may be that Glasgow 'piggy-backed' onto an existing game as SFA records don't show it as anything other than an 'ordinary' friendly match.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:14 pm

zamenhof59 wrote: I note that the Glasgow select cover has been signed by the thirteen scottish players who participated in the game as well as Bobby Cameron ,Denis MacQuade,Brian Ahern and Derek Parlane (Rangers) this would suggest that Alan Hansen and Ronnie Glavin were withdrawn after the programme was printed and Parlane was called up as a replacement.
Or that Hansen and Glavin hadn't learnt how to write??
Fifty one and counting