Bob Cumming Grimsby and Lincoln

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Beyemystic

Bob Cumming Grimsby and Lincoln

Post by Beyemystic » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:11 am

Although this player joined Grimsby from the now defunct Baillieston Juniors in 1974, Grimsby Town a Complete Record suggests he previously turned out for Albion Rovers as a sixteen year old.

Neil Brown's 40 year career site lists a 'Cummings' with two appearances for Rovers in 1971/72 - Could anyone confirm this is the same player?

Apologies for the rather obscure question, very cheeky in a first post I know! :)

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:16 am

Yes, he was the same player. According to John Litster's Record of Scottish League Players, Robert Cumming played two games for Albion Rovers in 71/72, one start and one as sub, having joined the club from Airdrie Academy. Date of birth 7/12/1955.

He then went to Baillieston Juniors, and signed for Grimsby Town on 14 July 1973. Stayed at Grimsby till July 1987, and then had three seasons at Lincoln.

grimsby98

Post by grimsby98 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Just discovered this site. Although now living in Ayrshire I grew up in Grimsby and was a regular at Blundell Park throughout the 70's. Bob Cumming lodged with my gran and would take me to home matches were I would sit on the 'bench' (good old days). He was a tough tackling Left Back who would leave a lasting reminder on any striker who dare take him on. At the end of his career he moved with his American wife to Illinois where he played in an indoor league before retiring from the game.
He is considered one of Grimsby Town's all time legends.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks for that Grimsby98 and welcome to the site.