Glasgow Charity Cup

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Glasgow Charity Cup

Postby kiwiscot » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Would anybody have dates , teams and crowds for the series of games at Hampden in the early to mid sixties between a Glasgow select and English club sides. Was the Scotland manager of the day in charge of Glasgow.[list] :D [/list]
kiwiscot

Postby Scottish » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:41 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

8/8/62
Glasgow Select 2 (Divers, McMillan) Man Utd 4 (Moir 2, Setters, Herd)

Ht 1-1 Att: 82,568 Ref: T Wharton

GS: Niven (Partick), Mackay (Celtic), Caldow (Rangers), Crerand, McNeill (both Celtic), Baxter, Henderson, McMillan (all Rangers), Hughes, Divers (both Celtic), Wilson (Rangers)

Man Utd: Gaskell, Brennan, Dunne, Stiles, Foulkes, Setters, Giles, Quixall, Herd, Law, Moir

Glasgow were 2-1 up when Caldow 'scored' from the spot. Because the trainer was still on the pitch the kick was re-taken and Gaskell saved.

7/8/63
Glasgow Select 2 (Chalmers, Setters OG) Man Utd 1 (Charlton)

HT 0-1 Att 48,576 Ref; T Wharton

GS: Niven (Partick), McGillivray (Third Lanark), Brown (Partick), Greig, McKinnon (both Rangers), McParland (Partick), Henderson (Rangers), Chalmers, Hughes (both Celtic), Brand, Wilson (both Rangers)

Man Utd: Gaskell, Dunne, Cantwell, Crerand, Foulkes, Setter, Giles, Quixall, Herd, Law, Charlton

5/8/64
Glasgow Select 4 (Baxter pen, McParland, Chalmers, Henderson) Tottenham Hotspur 2 (Robertson, Saul)

HT 0-0 Att: 58,768 Ref: RH Davidson

GS: Ritchie (Rangers), Young, Kennedy (both Celtic), Greig (Rangers), McNeill (Celtic), Baxter, Henderson (both Rangers), Chalmers (Celtic), Forrest, Brand (both Rangers), McParland (Partick)

TH: Brown, Knowles, Hendry, Mullery, Norman, Beal, Jones, Greaves, Saul, Mackay, Robertson

11/8/65
Glasgow Select 0 Chelsea 3

HT 0-0 Att: 36,641 Ref: A Webster

GS: McCulloch (Clyde), Johansen (Rangers), Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill (all Celtic), Greig (Rangers), Hughes (Celtic), J McLean (Clyde), Forrest, G McLean (both Rangers), McParland (Partick)

Chelsea: Bonetti, Shellito, Harris, Hollins, Hinton, Boyle, Bridges, McCalliog, Graham, Venables, Tambling

10/8/66
Glasgow Select 1 (Lennox) Leeds United 1 (Giles)
HT 0-0 Att: 12,833 Ref: H Phillips
GS: Ritchie, Provan (both Rangers), Gemmell (Celtic), McHugh (Clyde), McKinnon (Rangers), Clark (Celtic), Henderson (Rangers), McParland (Partick), Chalmers, Auld, Lennox (all Celtic)

LU: Sparke, Reaney, Bell, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Storrie, Collins, Lorimer, Giles, Gray

I'm not sure about selection. I think it was down to one of the Old Firm bosses for selection and/or coaching and they did it turn about but can't say for certain
Scottish
Site Admin

Glasgow Charity Cup

Postby kiwiscot » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:32 am

Many thanks, time taken for the reply was great. Dont you sleep. looking at the teams was Dave McParland footballs version of Cliff Richards.
kiwiscot

Re: Glasgow Charity Cup

Postby Scottish » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:49 am

kiwiscot wrote: Dont you sleep.

If I'm having any difficulty nodding off I find a DVD of 'Scotsport's Greatest Moments - the Delahunt era' usually does the trick. :)
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:14 pm

What colours did the Select play in for these games?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Rob R » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 am

looking at the Herald photos of the 62 & 63 games looks like they played in white tops the shorts are hard to define because it blends in with the background . I was at the 1965 game and IIRC they played in all white against Chelsea's all blue I still would like to know who managed the team or in the earlier days if picked by commitee who the trainer was . The Glasgow select that played the English League for the 1977 Queens Jubilee played in a special strip made up of the colours of all 5 Glasgow Clubs . That Glasgow team was for me was special as there was two players in the squad who attended my primery school. Miltonbank . Kenny Dalglish & Robert Cameron the Spiders goalie.
Rob R

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 am

I`m fairly sure Jock Stein looked after the teams in 1965 & 1966 but what his official capacity was I don`t know.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby ptfcok » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm

I remember being taken to the 1963 match by my dad. We caught the train at Central Station (probably a "football special") and as we walked up the platform the overnight mail train was sitting to our left. It was all new to me and my dad explained that it was a travelling sorting office. There was even a letterbox to post letters right up to the time of departure. Anyway, surprise surprise, the following morning it was on the news that that was the mail train involved in "The Great Train Robbery".
ptfcok

Return to SFAQS