1967 SFA tour

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kiwiscot

1967 SFA tour

Post by kiwiscot » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Would anyone.have the dates(local time),scores, venuesand attendances of the SFA Xi tour in 19.67

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 pm

I've got these but don't have the time right now to post them. Does anyone else have them? Or is there a web page somewhere?

If not then pm me around two weeks from now.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:53 pm

WORLD TOUR 1967---
May 16...Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv
ISRAEL 1 SCOTLAND XI 2
Thomson, Callaghan, Colquhoun, Anderson, Ure, Fraser, Penman (Hood), Hope, McCalliog, Ferguson, Morgan
Scorers : Morgan, Ferguson
May 25...Hong Kong International Football Stadium
HONG KONG XI 1 SCOTLAND XI 4
Thomson, Callaghan, Tinney (Townsend), Colquhoun, Anderson, Fraser, Morgan, Hope (Harper), McCalliog, Ferguson, Hood
Scorers : Ferguson 2, Hood, Callaghan
May 28...Sydney
AUSTRALIA 0 SCOTLAND XI 1
Thomson, Callaghan, Colquhoun, Townsend, Anderson, Fraser, Morgan, Hope, McCalliog, Ferguson, Hood
Scorer : Ferguson
May 31...Adelaide
AUSTRALIA 1 SCOTLAND XI 2
Cruickshank, Callaghan, Townsend, Anderson, McGrory, Fraser, McLean, Hope, McCalliog, Ferguson, Morgan
Scorers : Townsend, Morgan
June 3...Melbourne
AUSTRALIA 0 SCOTLAND XI 2
Cruickshank, Callaghan, Townsend, Anderson, McGrory, Fraser (Tinney), McLean (Penman), Hope, McCalliog, Ferguson, Morgan
Scorer : Ferguson 2
June 5...Wellington
NEW ZEALAND UNDER-23 2 SCOTLAND XI 7
Cruickshank, Callaghan (McCalliog), Tinney, Townsend, McGrory, Woodward, McLean, Penman, Harper, Hope, Hood
Scorers : McLean pen, Harper 3, McCalliog 2, Lake o.g.
June 8...Auckland
AUCKLAND PROVINCIAL XI 1 SCOTLAND XI 4
Thomson, Woodward, Tinney, Anderson, McGrory, Townsend, McLean, McCalliog, Penman, Ferguson, Morgan
Scorers : Ferguson 3, Penman
June 10...Vancouver
VANCOUVER ALL-STARS 1 SCOTLAND XI 4
Cruickshank, Woodward, Tinney, Townsend, McGrory, Fraser, McLean, Hope, McCalliog, Ferguson, Penman
Scorers : McCalliog 2, Ferguson, McLean pen
June 13...Winnipeg
CANADA 2 SCOTLAND XI 7
Cruickshank, Townsend, Tinney, Anderson, McGrory, Fraser (Penman), Morgan, Hope, Harper, Hood (McCalliog), McLean
Scorers : Harper 5, Hope, Morgan
FULL SQUAD :-
Jim Cruickshank (Hearts)
Harry Thomson (Burnley)*
Willie Callaghan (Dunfermline Athletic)
Eddie Colquhoun (West Bromwich Albion)
Alan Anderson (Hearts)*
Ian Ure (Arsenal)
Hugh Tinney (Bury)*
Jim Townsend (Hearts)*
Jackie McGrory (Kilmarnock)
John Woodward (Arsenal)*
Doug Fraser (West Bromwich Albion)
Bobby Hope (West Bromwich Albion)
Tommy McLean (Kilmarnock)
Willie Morgan (Burnley)
Jim McCalliog (Sheffield Wednesday)
Andy Penman (Rangers)
Alex Ferguson (Dunfermline Athletic)*
Harry Hood (Clyde)*
Joe Harper (Huddersfield Town)
(Players marked with a * never achieved full international recognition)
Notable amongst those chosen for the tour were :
Alex Ferguson (later Sir Alex of course) scored ten times in his seven appearances but failed to ever gain full recognition for Scotland ;
Hugh Tinney (formerly of Partick Thistle) travelled despite his club side Bury finishing bottom of English Division Two ;
John Woodward accumulated more playing time on this tour (3 full matches) than he would in his entire Arsenal career (2 appearances + 1 sub)!

kiwiscot

Post by kiwiscot » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Many thanks Alan, I know the game in Adelaide was played at the Hindmarsh Stadium as I have the match programme. Wellington was the Basin Reserve basically a cricket venue but NZFA always played their Cup Final there. Newmarket Park was the venue in Auckland, now abandoned as a landslide took half the terracing out in the 1980's. I flew up to Auckland in 1974 to see Rangers play there. Vancouver the venue was the Empire Stadium another venue Ive been to but not for sport, It reminded me of the old White City in London. Once again thanks and I hope I have filled a little bit of a gap in your records too.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:32 am

I'm now going through my notes for this for 'Very Heaven' and can add some stadium and crowd info.

May 16th crowd was 27,000
May 25th 7,000
There was supposed to be a match against the Chinese national side before this game but it was cancelled on account of political disturbances in China.
May 28th was at the Sydney Showgrounds - usually a venue for cattle shows but the only ground capable of holding the crowd of 34,792
May 31 20,000 I have this as the Norwood Oval, Adelaide. Is that the same as the Hindmarsh?
June 3rd 22,138 but not the name of the ground in Melbourne
June 5th 5,000 Match report says 'rugby ground ten miles from Wellington' Another source says 'Lower Hutt Recreation Ground.' Is that the Basin Reserve?
June 8th 15,000 floodlit game. Doesn't say Newmarket Park but this must be the venue.
June 10th no crowd figure, Empire Stadium, Vancouver
June 13th 3,000 Alexander Park, Winnipeg

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am

Sydney Showgrounds was the usual "big match" football venue in Sydney at the time.

Norwood Oval is an Aussie Rules ground and different from Hindmarsh Stadium (which is the main football venue in Adelaide)

The stadium in Melbourne is 99% likely to have been Olympic Park, where Scotland played Australia in 1985 WC play-off and where RL side Melbourne Storm currently play.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:59 am

In fact, more info here.........

http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Socceroo/1967B.html

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks very much. Only problem now is that's two sources citing the Norwood Oval (one of them a match report) but kiwiscot has a programme claiming the Hindmarsh Stadium.

Could it have been moved from there to accommodate the crowd? I've seen one site which say the Hindmarsh capacity before major extensions for the 2000 Olympics was only around 12,000.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:04 pm

I also have the programme and it definately states Norwood Oval.

kiwiscot

Post by kiwiscot » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:54 am

Burnie-man is correct I dug my programme out and the centre pages give you the venue as Norwood Oval.I'll get the local football jounalist to check the venue of the game in Wellington and get back toyou . The information I had was from a person now deceiced and I never really cross checked it.

kiwiscot

Post by kiwiscot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:51 am

Local radio ' football corespondent confiims venue in Wellington as Hutt Recreation Ground, although Hutt technically is not in Wellington like Paisley or Clydebank are not in Glasgow.