THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm

The British Library Crime Classics series has just reissued Leonard Gribble`s 1939 THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY murder story in paperback @ £8.99. Waterstones has it in their "3 for 2" section. A first edition with dust jacket will set you back about £650.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY

Postby BMCCOLL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 pm

And that's only £200 less than a season ticket for Highbury, oops Emirates! And probably more exciting... :lol:
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf
BMCCOLL

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:02 am

You`re probably right there Brian. Two chants I remember from my "youth" - LUCKY ARSENAL & ONE NIL TO THE ARSENAL. When I first moved down to London, Arsenal won the double with George Graham and "Scot" Bob Wilson in the side. I worked with a chap who supported Liverpool because he`d been @ univerisity with Steve Heighway & used to take the train up to Merseyside @ the weekend to watch them so was quite upset when Stevie`s goal didn`t win the 1971 Cup Final.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby BMCCOLL » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Our Bob eh! Was there also a fanzine or website called "boring boring Arsenal"? It rings a bell! And guess what, Forrest... the filmed version is available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmX4BJGcEp8.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf
BMCCOLL

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:27 am

I remember the film being on TV years ago. Leslie Banks starred as the inspector. Banks was a major British film star in those days and also starred in a 1942 film called WENT THE DAY WELL? written by Graham Green which had a scene where a group of "invading" Germans herd the villagers into a church a scenario repeated in the film spinoff of DAD`S ARMY in 1971 & the 1976 Michael Cane Donald Sutherland Robert Duval film THE EAGLE HAS LANDED based on Jack Higgins`s book.

Looking forward to THE IBROX STADIUM MYSTERY.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby bluedragon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:11 am

Brian - Thanks for finding the film. I remember reading about Alf Fields, the Arsenal centre half, recalling the filming and saying for their walk-on parts the players got paid £50 per week for a month when their football wages were £8 per week and a £2 win bonus. Alf had four words to say: "Yes, he looked terrible."
bluedragon

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 am

On the subject of few words, Sam Kydd appeared in hundreds of films and thousands of TV programmes and never seemed to have more than a couple of sentences to speak(apart from two TV series); look out for his crumple faced fleeting appearances in films like REACH FOR THE SKY, PASSPORT TO PIMLICO, THE HOUND OF THE BASKWERVILLES etc. I`1m trying to think of a British film in which he DIDN`T appear! Never seemingly out of work. He, like Clive Dunn & Donald Pleasance, was a prisoner of war for a lengthy period of the Second World War all 3 subsequently had parts in war films.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Return to Football Books