Queens Park- Men with Educated Feet

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
StAndrewsHMFC

Queens Park- Men with Educated Feet

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:30 pm

In the results for the mid-70's a number of home games have (NLH) after the team being played. I might be being a bit slow but I can't find a key to tell me what this means, was hoping someone on here could tell me.

Cheers

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:16 pm

New Lesser Hampden

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:52 pm

As I suspected- being a bit slow.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:42 pm

The original Lesser Hampden was the red blaes pitch behind the South Stand which eventually became the car park. Queen`s bought the piece of ground including the original Clincart Farm house to the West of the West terrace in 1925 and opened it as NLH the following year. It had a measured capacity of 5,000 at one time and was up to League standard until the 1970s so Queen`s was the only club in Britain with 2 grounds on which to play 1st class fixtures. What a club, eh? The pitch is now used for training, Strollers, Hampden & age Xls games and the farmhouse, built circa 1830, is still there and used as the pavilion. Is it, I wonder, the oldest structure at a football ground?

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:25 pm

My interest in Queens Park has grown considerably lately, but I'm finding it hard to find any books on them, Educated feet is a comprehensive record but lacking rather on the story side of things. I've heard of the game for the games sake, but can anyone point me in the direction of a good history of QPFC that would available?

qpsnapper

Post by qpsnapper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:05 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:The original Lesser Hampden was the red blaes pitch behind the South Stand which eventually became the car park. Queen`s bought the piece of ground including the original Clincart Farm house to the West of the West terrace in 1925 and opened it as NLH the following year. It had a measured capacity of 5,000 at one time and was up to League standard until the 1970s so Queen`s was the only club in Britain with 2 grounds on which to play 1st class fixtures. What a club, eh? The pitch is now used for training, Strollers, Hampden & age Xls games and the farmhouse, built circa 1830, is still there and used as the pavilion. Is it, I wonder, the oldest structure at a football ground?
It was actually used for the occasional league game until the mid nineties, I can remember a couple off the top of my head, Stenhousemuir in 85/86 and Alloa around 1994. We also used it for first team games for about 15 games in the 1998/99 season whilst Hampden was renovated.

According to Ged O'Brien the pavillion at Lesser is the oldest structure in use at a football ground.
StAndrewsHMFC wrote:My interest in Queens Park has grown considerably lately, but I'm finding it hard to find any books on them, Educated feet is a comprehensive record but lacking rather on the story side of things. I've heard of the game for the games sake, but can anyone point me in the direction of a good history of QPFC that would available?
There's not been that many, there was a book published in 1919 for the golden jubilee of the club, then Bob Crampsey's centenary book in 1967. There's been a couple of editions of The Men With The Educated Feet, 1984 and 1992 I think, and last year there was a pictorial history published by Blair James.

I am not aware of any current plans for a book, I would suspect that we are unlikely to see another until our 150th anniversary in 2017.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Bob`s book is now getting quite pricey; £60+ according to Abebooks. Richard Robinson`s Jubilee history will now set you back well nearly five hundred notes - if you can find a copy. There was a 1949 souvenir booklet which had little more than photograps and adverts and a Hampden Park golden jubilee booklet which was actually an expanded programme for the Queen`s vs. Ayr Utd. match on the exact jubilee date. The Honest Men won 4-2!

stewart

Post by stewart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Bob`s book is now getting quite pricey; £60+ according to Abebooks. Richard Robinson`s Jubilee history will now set you back well nearly five hundred notes - if you can find a copy. There was a 1949 souvenir booklet which had little more than photograps and adverts and a Hampden Park golden jubilee booklet which was actually an expanded programme for the Queen`s vs. Ayr Utd. match on the exact jubilee date. The Honest Men won 4-2!
I have a spare copy of Bob Crampsey's 1967 book if anyone requires one, and for a good bit less than the £60 quoted. Please PM me if interested, for more details. (Hope this doesnt upset any rules of this Forum)