Ultimate Directory of English & Scottish FL Grounds (2nd

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
Matt

Ultimate Directory of English & Scottish FL Grounds (2nd

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:38 am

Just seen the following:

The Ultimate Directory of English & Scottish Football League Grounds 1888-2005
The updated second edition of this book contains a fascinating directory of the 323 grounds at which English or Scottish League football has been played. Each venue has a location/ground map, a potted history, details of all clubs which have played there and records relating to results and attendances. Published in 2005.
Size: 191mm x 245mm – 240 pages.

Any reviews? Is it worth buying if you already have the first edition?

Thanks for any comments!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Well worth buying, that's for sure. I haven't had the chance to go through it in detail so I can't say for sure if it's worth buying IN ADDITION to the first edition but anyone who doesn't have the earlier book should definitely get this one as it will probably be another three or four years before a third edition.

Unlike a lot of books which purport to cover both English and Scottish football our game isn't added on as an afterthought or a makeweight. Fully one-third of the book is given over to Scottish grounds - over 80 pages. That's 117 Scottish grounds, appearing alphabetically and indexed by club at the front of the book and with a list of dates for first matches at the back. Latest inclusion is the Falkirk Stadium.

New information includes definitive sites for the Paisley grounds Westmarch, Old Ralston Park and New Ralston Park.

And, not wishing to appear too parochial, there's a wealth of information on 206 English league grounds as well.

On a personal level I've established that I've been present at three of the record league gates (two in the same year) and two of the all-time lows.

paulsmith

Directory of English & Scottish Football League Grounds

Post by paulsmith » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:46 pm

I may be slightly biased here, having co-written it with my wife Shirl, but the Scottish League is most certainly not a nail-on to the end of an "English biased" publication. In fact we have found doing the Scottish section has been utterly fascinating with its countless groundshares and use of other venues for matches making it into a statistical minefield! For the second edition we have updated all the stats to the end of the 2004/5 season, including the addition of "new" grounds as well as publishing the results of further research into "sketchy" locations such as Westmarch and Old Ralston Park. So if you already have the 1st edition it offers updates and amendments to it. Unfortunately it came out before we had sight of Dave's superb Scottish League results disc but the information on Scottish grounds and their histories is certainly up to date and we have inserted loads of new pictures compared to the original book.
I hope that has put you in the picture.
Many thanks
Paul Smith

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Meanwhile I have purchased to book, of course, and I must say: I would not like to miss it! Congratulations!