Flower of Scotland

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
Alan McCabe

Flower of Scotland

Post by Alan McCabe » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:08 am

Just read Archie McPherson's 'Flower of Scotland - A Scottish Football Odyssey'.
Overall I found it a very compelling read with thankfully not a 'Woooofff' or 'Swept Away' mentioned anywhere in its 320 pages.
It concentrates entirely on the years since 1967 and gives some interesting insights on the author's differing relationships with many of the game's leading lights. Old Firm figureheads Jock Stein and Willie Waddell are described in contrasting fashion while Jim McLean is regarded in a complimentary light that few witnessed during his long reign at Tannadice.
The chapter covering Third Lanark's unjust demise is particularly poignant and seems to point to the often criticised author as more of a 'Hi Hi' follower than any of the Old Firm adversaries that he commentated on for (seemingly) eons!
Possibly a bit pricy at £18.99, it is nonetheless a refreshingly different outlook to a landmark period in our game. Any author who criticises both the advent of the Premier Division and the appointment of Andy Roxburgh as national manager gets the thumbs-up from me!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:38 pm

I haven't got round to that one yet, Alan but I did enjoy reading Archie McPherson's biography of Jock Stein. Meticulously researched, didn't ignore Stein's playing days or his work away from Celtic, an easy to read yet intelligently written and thoughtful book.

I too was surprised, expecting the TV caricature rather than the mature and reflective writer I found.

I suppose the message to Archie is keep out of the Scotsport studio and use that time to write more on the game.

Oh, and if you must share a sofa on TV, wear longer trousers :P