Killie Til I Die

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
killiegradge

Killie Til I Die

Post by killiegradge » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 pm

New book out last week for all Killie fans.Richard Cairns and Gordon Allison have put this togeather and it is an update to the "Whos Who of Kilmarnock". I will pick up my copy tomorrow and I assume our webmaster will have his already?First impressions anyone?
Link to book below

http://killiefc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=65198

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Killie Til I Die

Post by Scottish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 am

killiegradge wrote:I assume our webmaster will have his already?First impressions anyone?
Link to book below

http://killiefc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=65198
You assume correctly. Before I review, a declaration of interest. I receive a generous credit in the acknowledgments and received a free copy of the book.

That out of the way, this is an absolute must for Kilmarnock supporters and also for those interested in players in general. The book is an A-Z of Killie players from 1895-2011 with an entry for anyone making at least one appearance in the three domestic competitions or European matches during that time - i.e. to the end of 2010-11. There are also separate entries for those who played only during the unofficial seasons of 1939-40 & 1945-46. In addition there are entries for over sixty Kilmarnock players who served the club before league membership in 1895, entries for managers up to and including Kenny Shiels, lists of top appearances and goalscorers in the domestic tourneys and Europe and other information such as youngest (Ronnie Hamilton, 16y 50 days) and oldest players (Jamie Mitchell, 39y 230 days), most goals in a season, most in a game, first sub, most consecutive appearances, most yellow cards, most Scotland caps, brothers to have played for Killie and fathers and sons likewise, and a list of presidents and chairmen from 1869-2011.

Hardback, over 400 glossy pages, with many face shots of players and priced at £17-99, this is an excellent addition to any fan's bookshelf. It is also timely, because there has only been one previous A-Z, written and compiled by the late Bill Donnachie over twenty years ago. That was a valiant effort but it had about 150 fewer pages, came at a time when the club was at rock bottom and, crucially, was just a few years before the internet took off. Around 200 more players have put on a Killie top since the publication of the initial book and more information has come to light about those who played in earlier times with many errors in the original now corrected.

The authors are Killie men through and through. Richard Cairns started the fanzine 'Killie Ken' in the late 1980s and has been editor of the official matchday programme for around twenty years. And when I visited Gordon Allison almost two decades ago when researching my first Killie history it was like walking into an Aladdin's cave of Killie memorabilia. They have been working on this project for many years and now is as good a time as any for publication.

The book is dedicated to the late Eddie Morrison and has been endorsed by the club.

killiegradge

Post by killiegradge » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:18 pm

I will get mine tomorrow. I intended to get it last week but my we boy was sick en route to Rugby Park and we got there just in time. He recovered pretty quickly and forgot all about his sickness as the goals went in!
Irrelevant I know but did I see there is a players strike in Spain?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

killiegradge wrote: Irrelevant I know but did I see there is a players strike in Spain?
Yes, for the weekend just gone and next weekend as well. European matches are unaffected

killiegradge

Post by killiegradge » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Got my book today and Richard even signed it for malthough probably not one to read from start to finish. !Looks a great book

Steve Emms

Post by Steve Emms » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:45 pm

The authors are to be congratulated on the work they've put in on this; there are details of a number of births & deaths which I'd previously been unable to track down

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Plenty of Brentford connections so I will purchase the updated version.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:13 am

markbfc wrote:Plenty of Brentford connections so I will purchase the updated version.
I'd say it's entirely new rather than updated. Many more pages for one thing and the authors have researched the players from scratch though obviously Bill Donnachie's earlier book has been a valuable reference point. But it certainly isn't just a case of adding on those who have played for Killie from 1990 onwards. There's a lot of additional/different information on players from 1873 onwards though whether any of this affects any with a specific Brentford connection I can't say.

bungle1979

Post by bungle1979 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Does anyone know if there's still copies available?

Or if it's available to purchase online at all? Doesn't seem to be available to purchase on the club shop on the Kilmarnock website.

Thanks.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:10 am

It should be available from the club shop direct if there are copies left.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Circumstancea have kept me away from Rugby Park too-much this season, but I have now got my copy of this excellent book and can honestly say: well done to Richard and Gordon for a sterling effort.

They generously credit Bill Donnachie and David Ross for their part in getting the book out and no self-respecting Killie fan should be without this smashing effort.

Well done.
Snuff