Searching for reference books and statistics books

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
bobby s

Searching for reference books and statistics books

Post by bobby s » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am

I'm not really interested in anyone other than Hibs, but,

Can anyone recommend books? I'm particularly interested in ones with player information, and appearances.

Advice on where to find teamsheets and scorers and crowds from 1950 to the present day wouldnae go amiss either :)
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 am

I don't think there is a single volume covering Hibs. Sat31 is looking for 'The Making of Hibernian' which I think just gives results.

AFAIK these are the only Scottish clubs which have had FULL statistical histories - results, scorers, line-ups, crowds etc - published in book form:

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dumbarton, Dundee, Hearts (post-war only), Kilmarnock, Motherwell (book covers entire history but full details for post-war only), Partick Thistle, Queen's Park, Rangers, St Johnstone. Lots of others have had histories published but without match by match details. For instance Dundee United and Stirling Albion books give seasonal totals.

There's a disk with similar info on Edinburgh City and of course the London Hearts website has pre as well as post-war details.

There's a disk which gives seasonal and career totals for every player with every club post-war. See this review:
http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive115.htm

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:42 pm

That's the gadgey I was looking for. Thank you.

[I should have added I have a comprehensive database of every Hibs competitive result in excel format. I'm going to update that to include friendlies too]

I don't suppose you have a current website for Alan Brown? I bought stats from him in the past, and I thought I might peruse what he's up to now?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:19 pm

Bobby,

Alan Brown's url has changed a few times. The most recent is on the sitelinks page and was functional last time I checked it a few days ago

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:52 pm

scottish wrote: There's a disk which gives seasonal and career totals for every player with every club post-war. See this review:
http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive115.htm
And got round to sending the cheque off for this today. Cannae wait :)

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:27 am

Good morning, Scottish!

You have mentioned that there are books on Dumbarton and St Johnstone with full statistical histories. I have tried via the two club's websites as well as Amazon to find them - hopeless. Would you have any more detailed reference or source where I could get them?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:18 pm

The Dumbarton book (paperback) entitled 'Sons of the Rock' was written by Jim McAllister and published in 2002. I've e-mailed you details of how to obtain it. the St Johnstone book 'Bristling With Possibilities' was published hardback at £15 (paperback as well) in 1997 by the club, written by Alastair Blair and Brian Doyle.

It no longer seems generally available. You could try ebay or this website http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

However I've seen the price quoted as being substantially higher than the published price

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:25 am

Thank you very much!

Townfan

Reference books etc

Post by Townfan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Not a book, but a website http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com gives League Appearances and goalscorers, but not separate substitute appearances from 1960 to now. There are around 25 Scottish teams including Clydebank and Third Lanark. It is ongoing and Neil Brown is hoping to have all British League teams on the site.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm

I've updated the stats to include the number of SFs and QFs played as well.

In addition to the 8 Finals Hibs have played 24 SFs losing 16 40 QFs winning 25.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson