Scottish Football Almanac 2014/15

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

Postby prorege » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

I've recently published a complete review of the 2013/14 Scottish season and preview of the 2014/15 season. (ISBN 978-0-9574645-3-7)

It's 380 pages in size, perfect bound, and contains information on International, SPFL (Complete line-ups and player details), Cups, Reserve, Senior and Junior Non League, Amateur, Welfare, Schools and Youth football, as well as Obituaries. It's basically a complete record of last season, with a fair bit of historical data as well.

My motivation was primarily to preserve information that is currently only available on-line and could disappear at some point. There are a few rough edges as it proved to be a "learn as you go along" exercise but my intention is that it should be an annual publication. Any teething problems with this edition should be ironed out in future years.

If anyone is interested in buying a copy then it is available, post free, here:

http://rel8mediapublishing.weebly.com/

It can also be bought through Amazon but they will charge for postage.
prorege

Re: Scottish Football Almanac 2014/15

Postby BMCCOLL » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 pm

And an excellent compendium it is, Andy.

With info on everything from the SPFL, senior nonleague and the Juniors right down to the amateurs, welfare and schools, this could become the Scottish 'Rothman's'! As Andy says there are some, but not many, rough edges in places, but with thousands of stats packed into 380 pages I for one can live with that!
Well done and roll on the 2014-15 edition!
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Andy, in order to make sure it is the first thing people see if I direct them to a review, I've posted one separately. No need to add anything here. It's all in the review. Good luck.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Tried to buy it directly but the rel8 website wouldn't accept my Mastercard for some reason so bought it through Amazon instead. If it's as good as David's review suggests an extra £2.80 of postage will be well worth it. Will await my copy in anticipation.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:Tried to buy it directly but the rel8 website wouldn't accept my Mastercard for some reason so bought it through Amazon instead. If it's as good as David's review suggests an extra £2.80 of postage will be well worth it. Will await my copy in anticipation.

Copy arrived within 24 hours. Excellent service indeed!

As others have said excellent reference book for all levels of the game. Everything you had from the old much missed Scottish Football League Review Books and so much more. Superb research.

I've only leafed through it really so far but a few minor corrections I noticed for completeness:

On page 18 it says with respect to Squad numbering that it was mandatory in the Premiership and optional in the other divisions. Not quite accurate. It's mandatory by rules in the top two divisions (Premiership & Championship) although the Championship clubs were given a one year dispensation to ignore it after some clubs pointed out they'd already bought their kit before the rule came in and not budgeted for extra. In the end only Queen of the South and Alloa Athletic didn't use squad numbering but several of the others used numbering but didn't put names on the shirts. It wasn't allowed in the bottom two divisions at all, not an option.

Not quite sure why Alloa appear to have mysteriously been stripped of their "Athletic" suffix?

In Queen of the South's final league game at Cowdenbeath our 96th minute equaliser is wrongly credited to Danny Carmichael, as it was in most media sources that weekend. The club website correctly attributed it to Bob McHugh. Carmichael was 40 yards away from it so I'm fairly bemused as to why the reporters convinced themselves he scored it.

Also young Dean Smith made our bench for the first time in the 2nd leg of the playoff match with Falkirk. However, it's been presumed to be Aidan Smith (no relation) and credit for the unused sub listing given to the wrong player.

I post these only to bring them to your attention for your own records Andy. Please don't take them as a criticism, it's really not meant as such. It's a fantastic collation of data and errors are inevitable, especially where most of the media reported it wrongly also (Carmichael's non-existent goal). Well done.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:40 am

prorege wrote:Scottish Football Almanac 2014/15

I've recently published a complete review of the 2013/14 Scottish season and preview of the 2014/15 season. (ISBN 978-0-9574645-3-7)

It's 380 pages in size, perfect bound, and contains information on International, SPFL (Complete line-ups and player details), Cups, Reserve, Senior and Junior Non League, Amateur, Welfare, Schools and Youth football, as well as Obituaries. It's basically a complete record of last season, with a fair bit of historical data as well.

My motivation was primarily to preserve information that is currently only available on-line and could disappear at some point. There are a few rough edges as it proved to be a "learn as you go along" exercise but my intention is that it should be an annual publication. Any teething problems with this edition should be ironed out in future years.

If anyone is interested in buying a copy then it is available, post free, here:

http://rel8mediapublishing.weebly.com/

It can also be bought through Amazon but they will charge for postage.

Andy, is there a 2015/16 Almanac in the pipeline?
Matt

Postby prorege » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:51 am

Yes, it is almost finished. It will go to the printers by July 3rd, to be on sale by the end of July.

I've expanded it with coverage of women's football plus player / squad lists for Highland League / Lowland League and Junior clubs.

I'll post on here when they go on sale.
prorege

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:38 pm

prorege wrote:Yes, it is almost finished. It will go to the printers by July 3rd, to be on sale by the end of July.

I've expanded it with coverage of women's football plus player / squad lists for Highland League / Lowland League and Junior clubs.

I'll post on here when they go on sale.

Great, many thanks!
Matt

Return to Football Books