Airdrieonians Through The Sixties

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

Airdrieonians Through The Sixties

Postby sam peckinpah » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:35 pm

John Henderson, the Diamonds historian, has just published his new book. This one covers seasons 1960-61 to 1969-70 and provides a fully illustrated and detailed narrative account of the club's fortunes throughout that decade. A full statistics section for each season is included too. A4-sized and with 50 packed pages, this is a bargain at £5.99.

Some great stuff here, take October 1963 for example - the Diamonds lost nine goals at Tannadice on the 5th (1-9) then did likewise at Parkhead three weeks later (0-9). With Wembley '61 perhaps still in mind, up stepped big Frank Haffie to take a penalty when the Hoops were 9-0 ahead, only for Roddy McKenzie to save it! And of course, had the Diamonds' Lawrie Leslie been fit in '61, perhaps the drubbing by the English wouldn't have happened...

It went on sale at the club shop at Excelsior Stadium last Saturday but it can also be picked-up via Airdrie library. Not sure about on-line options but lanarkshire@printing.com is the printer's contact details. Otherwise, feel free to contact me directly and I will assist in obtaining it for you.
sam peckinpah

Re: Airdrieonians Through The Sixties

Postby Snuff » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:02 am

Sam Peckinpah wrote:

And of course, had the Diamonds' Lawrie Leslie been fit in '61, perhaps the drubbing by the English wouldn't have happened...

I did a piece on Wembley 1961 for The Scotsman, to "celebrate" the 50th anniversary. Big Haffey, these many years in Australia, didn't wish to contribute - and, I cannot blame him; he was most-unfairly blamed for that disaster. So, I spoke instead to Leslie, who was pulled out of the team by manager Ian McColl after sustaining a head injury which meant he was peering out of what was effectively a slit from a horrendously-bruised and blackened eye.

THE quote, however, came from Lawrie's wife, who said quite categorically: "Even if both his eyes had been shut, instead of just one - there's no way my Lawrie would have let-in nine goals that day".
Snuff
Snuff

Return to Football Books