That's Fife - The History of the Fife FA and the Fife Cup

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

That's Fife - The History of the Fife FA and the Fife Cup

Postby cowdenbeather » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:57 pm

I now at last have had printed and published a new 80 page booklet entitled 'That's Fife - The History of the Fifeshire Football Association and the Fife Cup 1882 - 2014'. It will be launched at the AGM of the Fife FA in Cowdenbeath tomorrow. I will be arranging local sales outlets and in the interim copies can be obtained from myself - the booklet is priced at £4 plus £1.25 p&p. Anyone wishing to purchase a copy pro tem can contact me via a message on here.

Here are a few Fife Cup facts to whet the appetite

• First player to gain 5 winner’s medals was Bob Law of Cowdenbeath in 1893. Dave Moyes of Cowdenbeath matched this in 1929 winning 3 times with Raith and then twice with Cowden. This feat was eventually matched again by Harry Melrose and George Peebles of Dunfermline Athletic in 1964. Indeed Peebles had also played in the 1960 final when the trophy was shared with Raith Rovers. Willie Polland of Raith Rovers who had also played in that 1960 final matched Peebles with 5 (and a half) winners medals in 1969.
• The first players to win with two separate clubs were Bob Sandilands (1883 Dunfermline, 1887 Dunfermline Athletic) and Jim Toddie (1884 Dunfermline, 1887 Dunfermline Athletic).
• The only player to win with three different clubs is Jason Dair – twice with Raith Rovers and once each with Dunfermline Athletic and East Fife. Jason’s great grandfather’s brother Willie Dair played for Burntisland Thistle in the 1887 Fife Cup final.
• Venues for Fife Cup finals have been as follows: Stark’s Park, Kirkcaldy 39 (times); East End Park, Dunfermline 31; Bayview, Methil 20; Central Park, Cowdenbeath 14; North End Park, Cowdenbeath 14; Lady’s Mill, Dunfermline 9; (Old) East End Park, Dunfermline 7; New Bayview, Methil 3; Newton Park, Kirkcaldy 2; Scott’s Park, Kirkcaldy 2; Deer Park, Sauchie 1; School’s Park, Lochgelly 1; Recreation Park, Lochgelly 1; Recreation Park, Burntisland 1.
• Gordon Wallace of Raith Rovers and Charlie Dickson share the record for final goals with 8 each.
• Family members who won the Fife Cup include: Father and son - John Dickson (Cowdenbeath/East Fife) and John Dickson (Dunfermline Athletic); Johnny Urquhart (Raith Rovers) and Donald Urquhart (Raith Rovers); George O’Brien (Dunfermline Athletic) and Colin O’Brien (Dunfermline Athletic). Brothers – David Brown (Dunfermline) and Willie Brown (Dunfermline); James Pollock (Cowdenbeath) and John Pollock (Cowdenbeath); Alex Geddes (Cowdenbeath) and Bob Geddes (Cowdenbeath); John Drummond (Cowdenbeath) and George Drummond (Cowdenbeath/Raith Rovers); Roy McDonald (Kirkcaldy United), Davie McDonald (Kirkcaldy United) and John McDonald (Raith Rovers); Tommy Duncan (Raith Rovers) and John Duncan (Raith Rovers); Ian Hunter (Dunfermline Athletic) and Davie Hunter (Raith Rovers); Willie Callaghan (Dunfermline Athletic) and Tommy Callaghan (Dunfermline Athletic). Uncle and nephew – Pat Flannigan (Cowdenbeath) and the Callaghan brothers; Jock Whitelaw (Cowdenbeath) and Ian Addison (East Fife); Paddy Wilson (Dunfermline Athletic/Raith Rovers) and Terry Wilson (Dunfermline Athletic); Ian Campbell (Dunfermline Athletic) and Iain Campbell (Dunfermline Athletic). Grandfather and grandson – Jim Thomson (Dunfermline Athletic) and Kenny Thomson (Dunfermline Athletic).
• Record crowd seems to have been 12,000 at East End Park to see the 1920 final between Dunfermline Athletic and Cowdenbeath.
• Highest score in a Fife Cup match was 22-0 for Dunfermline v St Leonards back in 1884. Highest final score was 7-0 for Raith Rovers v Burntisland Shipyard in 1989/90.
• Most goals in a Fife Cup match by a player is 9 by Jack Jarvis for Raith Rovers v St Andrews University in 1930.
• Hat trick scorers in a Fife Cup final are Gordon Wallace (Raith Rovers) 1967, Greg Shaw (Dunfermline Athletic) 1997 and Brian Graham (Raith Rovers) 2012. Gordon Wallace though also scored 4 in the second leg of the 1966 final.
• Players sent off in Fife Cup finals have been Bob Law (Cowdenbeath), Jock Wilkie (Lassodie), Ron Hutchison (Raith Rovers), Billy Mullen (Cowdenbeath), Barry Mitchell (Dunfermline Athletic), Jimmy Marshall (Raith Rovers), Terry Wilson (Dunfermline Athletic). Ross Hamill (Cowdenbeath), John Holt (Dunfermline Athletic), Davie Watt (Cowdenbeath), David Bertholet (Raith Rovers), Gary O’Connor (Raith Rovers).
cowdenbeather

Re: That's Fife - The History of the Fife FA and the Fife Cu

Postby BMCCOLL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm very interested, David. Can you PM me details on how to get a copy.
Best wishes
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby HibeeJibee » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Sounds excellent. I believe the only previous publication on a regional cup has been Stewart Davidson's work on the early years of the Renfrewshire Cup a good while ago.

Please do PM me details of how to obtain a copy.
HibeeJibee

Postby cowdenbeather » Fri May 01, 2015 4:18 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:I'm very interested, David. Can you PM me details on how to get a copy.
Best wishes

Cheers Brian - I have sent you a PM
cowdenbeather

Postby cowdenbeather » Fri May 01, 2015 4:21 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Sounds excellent. I believe the only previous publication on a regional cup has been Stewart Davidson's work on the early years of the Renfrewshire Cup a good while ago.

Please do PM me details of how to obtain a copy.

Cheers - have sent you a PM

You may also be interested to know

Fife Cup draw 2015/16

Prelim Rd

Burntisland Shipyard v Raith Rovers

Semis

Burntisland Shipyard/Raith Rovers v Dunfermline Athletic
Cowdenbeath v East Fife

2014/15 final anticipated to be played this month
cowdenbeather

Postby honestman » Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 am

I would be interested in a copy - can you send me details of I can do this. Thanks
honestman

Postby cowdenbeather » Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

honestman wrote:I would be interested in a copy - can you send me details of I can do this. Thanks

Many thanks will PM you
cowdenbeather

Postby BMCCOLL » Wed May 06, 2015 2:04 pm

As ever from David, an excellent history of one of our oldest competitions.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Return to Football Books