Gaps in the Library

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

Gaps in the Library

Postby cowdenbeather » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:29 pm

A couple of years ago in the Cowdenbeath programme I wrote the following

'It set me thinking about obvious gaps in the Scottish football library. As far as games go, you have books on Celtic 7 Rangers 1 and Hearts 0 Hibs 7 – the obvious missing link is an account of Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 1 back in 1971/72 – the shock result to end shock results. Most managerial stories have now been told but I would be interested on a definitive take on Willie Waddell – with playing, journalism, and management all part of the mix. On a Rangers theme, an account of the last 15 years or so providing some real insight into the financial aspects would be fascinating.

As regards players, maybe a well written history focused on Hibs Famous Five as an entity would make for good reading. Hearts Terrible Trio were celebrated in a slim volume but a more substantial effort might still be rewarding. A book on the Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand partnership at Ibrox would also pique my interest. How about then a compare and contrast review in the same book of Celtic and Rangers respective nine in a row achievements?

I always hankered after a history of the Scottish international team in the 1960s. Stuffed to the brim with wonderful players but we could not harness this talent to get the best out of it. Anyway, if anyone wants to get on and write one of these you have a guaranteed buyer here'!

Now I am sitting here enjoying Ronnie McDevitt's history of Scotland in the Sixties! Here's hoping some others on my wish wish list might appear soon. Anyone else got any 'wishes' - of course the possibility of an updated version of Lamming's the Who's Who of Scottish Internationalists has been featured on this site and that too would be a must buy!
cowdenbeather

Re: Gaps in the Library

Postby Alan Brown » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:46 pm

I agree that an update to Lammings book would be a Great Leap Forward, especially with the excellent research carried out by Andy Mitchell. Personally I would like to see a complete record of each senior club being published. Quite a few have already been published, especially for the 'bigger' clubs, but that still leaves a gap in the market. David maybe a complete record with full stats on Cowdenbeath would be a worthwhile effort?
Alan Brown

Return to Football Books