HELICOPTER DREAMS

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
cowdenbeather

HELICOPTER DREAMS

Post by cowdenbeather » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Marvellous new book by Ron Ferguson which I highly recommend. A sequel of sorts to the much lauded 'Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil'. Now though Cowden are depicted on the upswing as they enjoy championship success under the charismatic Mixu Paatelainen. The anthithesis of the bleak picture facing the club in the earlier book. Helicopter Dreams is a real treat - humorous and moving in turn. Not for you though if you think football is big business, prawn sandwiches, and sterile overhyped TV matches. This is for real fitba boys with a bit of soul and passion.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:26 am

Indeed, highly recommendable. BTW: The book was promptly delivered by the Club Shop. Perfect internet service from the Blue Brazilians.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:00 am

Just to repeat what I said on the other thread in the correct place:

Ach, it's okay. Not really any better than that.

I think it's easy for lower division fans to get carried away with the novelty of seeing an actual book published about their team and overlook being genuinely critical of the book. I was probably the same with Des McKeown "Don't Give Up the Dayjob" which featured us heavily.

With Ron Ferguson's book, I bought it, and read it, and enjoyed it but I've read many better football books (including the above Des McKeown one). There's nowhere near enough "inside the club" detail for me and the match detail isn't enough either. It's way too focused on the comments of users of the "Pie and Bovril" website too. I am a regular poster on there and "know" many of the people quoted but those not doing so would be bemused by much of it I reckon. And the club official Interviews" at the back are sadly lacking in any real detail.

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 pm

I would disagree - can't think of any book where opposition fans are given as much prominence and its certainly no novelty for Cowden to be the subject of a book! It's not one of those 'Pointless' books but one written by a fan with a real feeling for the game and his club and the real heart of fitba. It's like Danny Blanchflower said 'Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom'. That's what Cowdenbeath did in their own small way last season - on a shoestring budget we didn't go out and buy success off the shelf. I am not sure that much bemusement is caused by P&B postings being included either. Each to his own though - I read Des McKeown's book and found it tedious with its tabloid style and references to dull player antics by wee man, big man and people with nicknames ending in y. Anyway I hope he took his own advice and didn't give up that dayjob after his Ochilview disaster.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:41 am

Do you know when the second half of the Cowdenbeath A-Z will be published?

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:58 pm

cowdenbeather wrote:I would disagree - can't think of any book where opposition fans are given as much prominence and its certainly no novelty for Cowden to be the subject of a book! It's not one of those 'Pointless' books but one written by a fan with a real feeling for the game and his club and the real heart of fitba. It's like Danny Blanchflower said 'Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom'. That's what Cowdenbeath did in their own small way last season - on a shoestring budget we didn't go out and buy success off the shelf. I am not sure that much bemusement is caused by P&B postings being included either. Each to his own though - I read Des McKeown's book and found it tedious with its tabloid style and references to dull player antics by wee man, big man and people with nicknames ending in y. Anyway I hope he took his own advice and didn't give up that dayjob after his Ochilview disaster.
Like I say it's all about personal perception. I was very much looking forward to reading the book following its initial hype on Pie & Bovril (mainly from Cowden fans and others mentioned in it right enough). I just found it a little disappointing. You will concede at least that you are hardly neutral in this even presuming you are not the author? I'm sure all Cowden fans think it's brilliant and I expect other third division fans from that season thought it was a fair summing up too. It just didn't do a lot for me and that's as a fan of Scottish lower league football.

I'd freely concede I'm equally biased about the McKeown book. I cannot possibly look at it objectively.