THE BALL IS ROUND

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
LEATHERSTOCKING

THE BALL IS ROUND

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:43 pm

Did you know that, according to David Goldblatt`s "THE BALL IS ROUND - A GLOBAL HISTORY OF FOOTBALL", Vale of Leven Football Club was founded in 1876 not 1872?; that Hampden Park was "completely rebuilt" in 1903?; that 11 years after their formation "Glasgow Rangers after much roaming around central Glasgow...built Ibrox Park & have been there ever since"?; that, while plenty of English clubs toured Europe in the latter stages of the 19thC & early years of the 20th, Queen`s Park (1898, 1900, 1903, 1908, 1912 & 1914), Aberdeen (1911), Celtic (1904, 1906, 1911 & 1914), Hearts (1912 & 1914) & Rangers (1904, 1911 & 1913) are not recorded as doing so?; that the first post Second World War World Cup Finals were played in Switzerland in 1954 not Brazil in 1950? and I`m only @ page 151 of a 910 page book and these are only a few of Mr.Goldblatt`s errors & omissions.

He HAS had the courtesy to say "British" rather than "English" generally in the text. So far, I get the impression that Mr.Goldblatt has trawled the internet to pull together this book; if it`s not on his first web page visit on a subject, it doesn`t get in. For example, along with every English historian, he gives a detailed description of the development of the game in England trotting out the usual English public schools & university codifying things and exporting it to us and admits Scots had a huge influence on the game at International level and the formation and manning of English clubs and their League but, again along with every English historian, he`s quite fails to put 2 & 2 together and ask the crucial questions; WHY did Scotland have such a dominating effect on the domestic (British) game in the 19thC & early 20th. WHY did Scotland develop so quickly & so emphatically. If this (originally late 19thC) English view is true, why did Charles Alcock, in his letter to the Glasgow Herald in 1872 looking for Scots to play a game vs. England, refer to "...Scotland, once essentially the land of football..." if there was not a contemorary general knowledge that the game here had developed independently and he wanted to test his brand of the game against ours. Alcock`s tone is certainly not one of him trying to introduce a game to the "ignorant" Scot.

It`s a pity when you can spot basic mistakes/omissions in a book in areas of one`s ken you then wonder about the contents where you are ignorant. I`m ploughing on (@ thirty quid, I`ve got to!) but with a jaundiced eye.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Don't tell me an English author is paying lip service to the game in Scotland again? and of course it's not just on the subject of football this happens.

I trust you're logging all these inaccuracies to advise the author accordingly :wink:

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:40 pm

The good Scottish response - Aye, right. Mr.Goldblatt can stew in his ignorance. Up to page 161 now; it`s good reading while on latrine duty.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:44 am

Latrine watch 3/2/2007: Did you know that professional football in Britain stopped immediately after the English Cup Final of 1915?; that the man who succeeded Herbert Chapman as Arsenal manager in 1934 was George Wilson not George Allison?; that German footballers were not professionals between 1919 and 1939 because they`d lost the First World War? This is great! It`s like a parallel history. Anyone who enjoyed the "football" book "THE WOW FACTOR" will love "THE BALL IS ROUND" (what a terrific title). If you can get hold of a remaindered copy (coming soon I`d guess) do so!

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 am

I'm loving your ongoing review Leatherstocking. By the sounds of it, the loo is the most apt place in this particular case.
"It's like a parallel history".....top marks to you - undoubtedly quote of the week!
Hope you've got plenty of bog paper to allow you to continue this journey of footballing enlightenment? Then again, you have the fall-back of 455 sheets (910 pages)!

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:16 pm

You should submit a review to Amazon, as the three people who have done so already seem to think it's the greatest thing they've ever read. Back of the net! :roll:
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:40 pm

I can`t be bothered telling Amazon. I`m now up to page 225 (I`m not really a slow reader but our domestic latrines are kept cold to discourage stragglers!) and hugging myself all the time; really I shouldn`t be so childish but it`s hard to stop laughing. Post Great War now & 3 pages on the Austrian Jewish club Hakoah & one line on Argentina winning the 1930 World Cup despite pages & pages on the professional development of the South American game & the gradual emancipation of the black & mulatto player. Pages & pages on "Western Mediterranean" football in the 20s without a mention of Portugal. Eh? The War held back the development of Italian & Spanish football but enhanced French football. Eh? He`s long on the social side but I think he`s trying to meld his views as published in his previous book "SOCIAL THEORY AND THE ENVIRONMENT" with football. But, how can you criticise a man who pushes hard his "international football expert" credentials by wearing a "XENTENARIO BOCA 1905-2005" tee shirt in the picture over his biography notes? Biography note quote,"...has flirted with and abandoned careers in medicine, stand up comedy, broadcasting, politics and academia." Flirted with and abandoned? Pass the sick bag Doris.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:38 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:one line on Argentina winning the 1930 World Cup
Does it really say Argentina won the 1930 World Cup? They'll be awfy angry in Montevideo.

I must say it's been disappointing to read about the mistakes in this book. David Goldblatt is the author/editor of the 'World Football Yearbook' and I find it surprising, given the excellence of that tome, that this has so many apparent errors.

It's been reviewed extensively and praised to the skies. Even critical reviewers, like John Foot in the Guardian who talked about "errors, omissions and strange opinions" concluded by saying "There is more food for thought in the few pages of the conclusion than in a hundred ghostwritten biographies of rich twentysomethings. Quite simply, The Ball Is Round takes football history to a new level."

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:41 pm

the hibLOG wrote:You should submit a review to Amazon, as the three people who have done so already seem to think it's the greatest thing they've ever read. Back of the net! :roll:
I agree - it really is worth submitting genuine reviews to Amazon. Their review system is abused by publishers who submit fantastic reviews for their own products to push sales. Hardly the most objective forum...

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Eventually I couldn`t resist it & submitted my comments to Amazon. I`m now up to page 275 and wonder if he`s got a ghost writer for slabs because it`s actually getting quite good but still prone to mistakes & omissions. My apologies to him re accusing him of having Argentina winning the 1930 Weltmeisterschaft, he does attribute it to Uruguay. Did Aberdeen & Dumbarton REALLY go on summer tours to Denmark in 1921?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Jim McCallister in 'Sons of the Rock' says Dumbarton went to Bergen in Norway in 1922 but has no details of results. It says the Norwegians paid for the trip which was arranged by manager Pat Travers who had coached there previously.

Kevin Stirling's centenary history of Aberdeen mentions a "short tour of central Europe" in the same year which had to be cut short because of political instability in the region.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:52 pm

ScottishFA wrote: Their review system is abused by publishers who submit fantastic reviews for their own products to push sales.
Wish somebody would tell my publishers :(

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 pm

Details of Aberdeen tour (Prague, Budapest, Brno) and Dumbarton's to Bergen (which also included Oslo & Gothenburg) can be found on this RSSSF page

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 pm

scottish wrote:
ScottishFA wrote: Their review system is abused by publishers who submit fantastic reviews for their own products to push sales.
Wish somebody would tell my publishers :(
Come on David, get wise - write a few glowing reviews for yourself, then mail them round to us to post them for you. Simple. :roll:
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks for that, David. Still, Mr.Goldblatt states Aberdeen & Dumbarton went to Denmark but neither did. Perhaps he`s mixed up Aberdeen club Banks o` Dee with Pittodrie Aberdeen.