Scotlands Greatest Team

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.

Scotlands Greatest Team

Postby Insertnamehere » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:50 am

Has anyone else been watching this on STV? Im curious to know if im the only person mumbling under my breath then shouting at the TV.

As with all "greatest" lists or shows its true you cant possibly please everyone and there are some players included that most people wouldnt have even thought of.

What annoys me more than anything is the hosts, Toney Roper just doesnt look right without a bottle of Irn Bru in his sports jacket pocket and exactly what is he doing anyway? As for the other presenters, Kelly Dalglish, Lorraine Kelly, John Gordon Sinclair and the bloke from Still Game.......... I think if it had just been narrated with the clips of interviews thrown in it might have been more barable but last night ended 15 minutes in when I switched over to Austrailian Masterchef! :roll:
Insertnamehere

SCOTLAND'S GREATEST TEAM

Postby sam peckinpah » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 am

The programme was a disappointment, and predicatble that it would only include people from the television-era. Maybe that explains the decison to to exclude anyone from before 1967. It rendered the whole thing meaningless however. How can the past 43 years be truly representative?

The rule that the person had to have either played for or managed Scotland effectively ruled-out some of the greatest managers, while there was no recognition that caps were harder to come by in days gone-by. There was also a big representation of old firm players.

Anyone fancy doing a 'greatest' ever non-old firm eleven?
sam peckinpah

Re: SCOTLAND'S GREATEST TEAM

Postby Sat31March1928 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm

sam peckinpah wrote:.
Anyone fancy doing a 'greatest' ever non-old firm eleven?

I'd go with the two greatest Hearts players for starters

Bobby Walker
Tommy Walker

and throw in

Gordon Smith
Lawrie Reilly
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Re: SCOTLAND'S GREATEST TEAM

Postby Scottish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 pm

sam peckinpah wrote: How can the past 43 years be truly representative?

Especially when you can ignore at least the last fifteen of them.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:38 am

You`ve missed Charlie Thomson, the Hearts captain of the early 20thC - one of the greatest players Hearts & Scotland ever had. How can you even contemplate a Scottish All Stars without Alex James, Hughie Gallacher, Charles Campbell(Queen`s Park), Walter Arnott(Queen`s Park), John Thomson(Celtic) or John McPherson(Vale of Leven)? You had to have players from the TV era or you wouldn`t have much of a TV programme. Anyway, the exercise is good fun but quite futile and was an STV cheap time filler.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Return to TV, DVD, Video & Film