Setanta

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.

Setanta

Postby Aberdonian » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:54 pm

Not live but folk migt like to know that Setanta are showing a lot of last season's matches throughout July. See here for the schedule.

http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/ ... d004f293f&
As many European trophies as the Old Firm combined
Aberdonian

Postby bobby s » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:45 pm

I baulked at taking out Satanta at first, but I regret it now. I only took it out in May and I thought the 15 minutes of highlights for every Hibs game eclipsed the insipid rubbish on Scotsport.

Didnae have to suffer Hibs non legend Andy Whapper either.

I'll have the DVD primed for all the Hibs games.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby RFC1873 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:29 am

Scotsport is a disgrace these days. Agree Setanta is much better but I won't be renewing for their Rangers TV channel. Amateurish in the extreme.
RFC1873

Postby Gersman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:52 pm

Agreed re Scotsport and Rangers TV. They should bring back 'Monday Night Live.' It may just have been a cheap 'talking heads' show but at least it was talking (mostly) sense unlike the impostor of a show which demeans the history of Scotsport.

I wonder what Arthur Montford and Bob Crampsey think of it these days?
Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Postby Level_Par » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:05 pm

Anybody know what the deal is with Setanta this season? Is it the same price?
Level_Par

Postby Gersman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:52 pm

Absolutely hee-haw on their website. Still advertising LAST season
Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Postby bobby s » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:16 pm

It's up to £14 a month, I got the letter through today.
bobby s

Postby Gersman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 pm

I still haven't heard anything from them. £14 a month you say? Is that for ten months? £140 the season? I paid £99 last year and thirty -odd before that. I won't be paying that much.
Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Postby bobby s » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:09 pm

You get five channels for yer £14

Satan TV 1: SPL footy
Satan TV 2: Dutch, French, German & Italian Leagues
Satan TV Ireland: GAA & Satan CUp
Satan TV Celtic
Satan TV Rangers
bobby s

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:25 pm

They've got the new season details on their website now. But it looks like a take it or leave it package. Got to say I'm not at all happy with this. It was £30 for 38 live games in 2003-04 for viewers outwith Scotland. It was £99 last year for everybody if you ordered before the end of June. Now it's £140! And if you pay monthly it's more as it's a 12-month contract so that's £168.

OK, they'll argue you're getting more channels. But personally I could live without the OF channels and the GAA stuff. Sure, I'd like to see a bit of Dutch, German fitba etc but not at the expense of a 40% rise coming on top of a 330% rise the year before that.

I think it's clear despite everything thay say that it's only OF punters they're interested in.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Aberdonian » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:44 pm

That's it. No Setanta for me this season. It's bad enough what you have to pay to get into Castle Greyskull and the Breezeblock Boulevard without having to subsidise the procreative act TV channels as well
As many European trophies as the Old Firm combined
Aberdonian

Postby Scottish » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:41 pm

I have just had one almighty row with Setanta. As far as I'm aware the deal was to show live Scottish football and that's what I'm interested in. To listen to them you'd think they were doing you a big favour by bumping up the price and adding 'extra' channels. I've said I don't want their favour and can they please just give me the SPL channel and nothing else. Answer 'no can do.'

I'm also unhappy that I've received no renewal notice and they think they can go ahead and renew my subscription when clearly the terms of the subscription have changed.

This stinks. As fans we were told we would be able to subscribe to a channel showing live SPL games. Nobody said anything about being forced to fork out another £40 for the dubious pleasure of gaelic sports and the Old Firm channels
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby bobby s » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:38 pm

My sub has been used to screen two feckin old firm friendlies!!!!!!

Where's Hibs v Rot Weiss Essen??????
bobby s

Postby Scottish » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Told me they weren't debiting accounts till August 6th so anything shown before then will be on last year's subscription
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:04 pm

Still no letter from Setanta outlining their plans so I took the opportunity to watch 'The Daily Huddle' and 'Inside Ibrox' followed by two excruciating friendlies.

Next week I shall be mainly watching paint dry. Bound to be more entertaining.

What I don't understand is why more OF fans don't kick up about these programmes. Setanta won't pay for footage from other TV companies so they're left with (for example on the Celtic channel) a brief mention of 'byraway ra sellik won the cup' and this cracker - 'don't forget, we'll be on air LIVE - right AFTER the end of the game in Slovakia'

Or do they think that fawning, inane simpering interviews of reserve players constitutes value for money?

I've just had another look and they're showing old reserve games. I swear i can recognise the voices coming from the match at Rugby Park.

Still, it will probably be the only time I'll ever see Bob Malcolm score with a free kick from forty yards out
Scottish
Site Admin

Next

Return to TV, DVD, Video & Film