Setanta

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.
bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:20 pm

The old firm channels have been a flop, that can be the only possible reason they are being dumped on everyone.

I suspect the reason is because whilst it's good fun to paint all old firm fans are brainless bigots, they actually do have a bit of savvy and even they can see that £3 a month for wearrapeopletv was a con.

Or I'd like to think so.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:06 am

The problem is that they're now charging everybody that £3 per month, like it or not.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Fecking robbers. The Rangers game is PPV but free if you live in NI or the ROI :x
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:01 pm

This will delight everyone who paid full price up front, I'm sure. Setanta are offering a no-strings offer to ex-subscribers for £7 a month.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:08 pm

The new Setanta deal announced today covers up to and including season 2009-10 and will see 60 live SPL games a season as opposed to the current 38 with a guaranteed 22 non-OF games televised live per season.

The SPL are claiming it's their best TV deal ever. But at £13.625M per season at current prices and lasting until 2010 it doesn't seem to be any better than the £12.5M per season they knocked back from Sky at 2002 prices.

At best they have now returned to where they were in 2002 and clubs have suffered over the past four seasons as a result of SPL incompetence.

The genuinely good news is the extension of live games. It remains to be seen whether Setanta will up their charges as a result. I have two outstanding complaints about Setanta's pricing model. First, it includes the OF channels which were previously standalone packages. This means ALL Setanta subscribers are subsidising the OF - something to bear in mind the next time some OF bore says THEY subsidise the rest of Scottish football.

Secondly, Setanta's minimum term is twelve months. This means the subscriber is paying for the period between mid-May to the end of July - some ten weeks in total - when there is no televised Scottish football. That's effectively a 20% surcharge on subscribing and with no option - as there is on Sky - to cancel packages in the summer months and subscribe again when the new season starts.

No word as to whether PPV is included in the new package. Setanta already offer PPV to Freeview customers inside Scotland.

This former subscriber for one would rather pay by the match than subsidise the OF.

Ramalhete

Post by Ramalhete » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm

How is the money divided by the SPL clubs?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:55 pm

The vast majority goes to the OF but there's also a match fee for every game televised live.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:33 am

scottish wrote:The vast majority goes to the OF but there's also a match fee for every game televised live.
I seem to recall it was 40% to the OF (ie 20% each) and the other 60% split between the rest (ie 6% each in a 12 team SPL). That may have been the split talked about in previous BBC negotiations mind you so it could be different.
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:38 am

Not sure if I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face here but my one-man boycott of Setanta continues. Today I received yet another call from them. Yet again I explained that I have no intention of paying for their two Old Firm channels and that once they come back with a different package or PPV I will re-subscribe.

Their response to this was truly amazing.

Setanta: "You don't have to watch the OF channels"
Me: "But I have to PAY for them"
Setanta: "But you don't have to WATCH them"
Me: "Ok, then why do I have to PAY for them?"
Setanta: "But you don't have to WATCH them"
Me: (banging head off brick wall) "goodbye"

This really annoys me. If the OF are as massive as they claim to be then surely Setanta don't need the rest of us to subsidise these channels.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:02 pm

scottish wrote: The SPL are claiming it's their best TV deal ever. But at £13.625M per season at current prices and lasting until 2010 it doesn't seem to be any better than the £12.5M per season they knocked back from Sky at 2002 prices.
My memory is a bit hazy on this but weren't the Old Firm all for accepting the Sky deal but the other 10 clubs were caught up in the SPL TV hubris?
scottish wrote:This means ALL Setanta subscribers are subsidising the OF
Sky Sports makes you pay for golf, cricket and all other guff on Sky Sports Extra that they can't put in on Sky Sports One. I wouldn't say I was subsidising those sports - yet if Sky Sports had a football channel, you'd see the drop off in the other Sky Sports channels. Erm, so there.
scottish wrote:Secondly, Setanta's minimum term is twelve months. This means the subscriber is paying for the period between mid-May to the end of July - some ten weeks in total - when there is no televised Scottish football. That's effectively a 20% surcharge on subscribing and with no option - as there is on Sky - to cancel packages in the summer months and subscribe again when the new season starts.
They let me drop down my package to £7.50 a month for June, July and August. Goes back up to £14 in September. Could have cancelled but then you need to pay a resub fee.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:28 pm

To answer in order:

1. Yes, the OF were in favour of the Sky deal -for their own reasons. I wrote at the time: "The Old Firm didn’t kill off the project because it was going to make the other clubs a fortune. If it had been a viable concern, the Gruesome Twosome would have been its biggest advocates." And on the question of SPL TV versus the Sky deal: "Time, surely, to give up this pipe dream and get back to the negotiating table before our hard-pressed clubs throw away money they don't have."

2. Hmm. Some people actually like golf, cricket etc. Certainly the dramatic finale to last week's US Open was - IMHO - worth at least a decade's worth of OF TV. But my gripe here is that Setanta CHANGED their model to suit the OF. When they started up the OF channels were a separate package. Setanta upped their price and foisted these channels on people who didn't want them. A better comparison would be if Sky did the same with MUTV & Chelsea TV. They haven't and they won't because subsidising the already obscenely rich would have fans of other clubs cancelling subscriptions.

3. Okay, so you can pay them a bit less in the summer but you are still paying for nothing. You give them your money. They don't give you any live football. And as you say, if you cancel you have to pay to resubscribe. If you cancel Sky in the summer you save money and re-subscribe at no cost.

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:14 pm

1. I was just looking to establish that the Old Firm weren't the bad guys in this instance. IIRC, the excitement reached such a fever pitch that the SPL, in particular Roger Mitchell, sent Sky away with a flea in their ear which naturally didn't help when it came to asking them back to the table. And that's one of the things that's forgotten - Setanta are the only show in town. Sky ain't coming back to Scottish fitba'.

2. If Setanta have changed the model then that's fair enough. Personally, I wouldn't miss out on the SPL live games and highlights just for the sake of a couple of quid to the Old Firm channels. Though I can see why sombody might be peeved. Again, though, what's the alternative? That car-crash television and permanent insult to Scottish football's TV heritage, Scotsport?

3. It's a strange one. I don't understand why they don't offer this.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 pm

1. Dead right re Roger Mitchell. He's gone yet his partner in incompetence - Lex Gold - is still running things.

2. The savings on the Setanta subscription go towards getting to live matches.

3. Because then they'd have to adjust their monthly rates upwards to reflect the true cost of watching.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:34 pm

I feel a bit like one of those Japanese soldiers popping up out of some Pacific island in the 1970s to finally surrender. I finally caved in to Setanta, lured back by the fact that there will be 60 live games this season so at last there will be a bit more than just the OF.

They've given me half-price for the first three months which means when I compare what I'm paying to what NTL customers pay (and NTL folk don't get the OF channels unless they pay separately which is what I wanted for my subscription) then I'm only shelling out £1.62 more over the year.

My contribution to the OF is therefore 81p each per week or under 7p per month.

I just hope they invest it in promoting young Scottish talent rather than some overseas dud. :P

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:07 pm

One year on and I see Setanta are now advertising their new package, including the English Prem - for a tenner a month and no annual contract. Does anybody know if this will apply to existing subscribers? Or am I going to have to cancel my direct debit - currently £15 a month - and subscribe again?